What do you think of Christmas volunteer work?

I find it very unfair that people in need can only get our help for Christmas. These people need help every day, not just Xmas. I'm seek of the tv commercials about "helping people on Xmas because that's when they need us more than ever". What's that mean? They're more hungry on Xmas than they are on September 5th?

I'm for giving presents and food and even a home to homeless people in need, but if you can afford to do it, why not do it all year?

Emmagr

Asked by Emmagr at 3:58 PM on Dec. 5, 2009 in Holidays

• AGREED.
    Anonymous

• I agree entirely. We should be spending less time hearing about Tiger Woods and his affair and spend more time helping people.
    iloveRiver

Answer by iloveRiver at 4:04 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Agreed. However, with Christmas encompassing things like family, meals, gifts and whatnot....a lot of people get depressed....kids go without presents etc....so in some ways, it's an extra special day.
    Like I said though, I do agree....
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 4:15 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I think its about the kids more at x-mas, I hat to see kids that dont have anything on x-mas, unless of course its by choice. I didnt celebrate any holidays growing up, so i want to give my kids over the top at christmas time! I agree that people that need food on christmas needs food in june. My husband thinks there is a greater need for food this time of year b/c people try to give their kids a nice christmas and forget they need or just rely on food pantries just to save them $
    Anonymous

• I've been trying to find a place for me and my 6yo to help out. So far the places we have checked out supposedly don't need or want our help. ...I thought at least he could help stack cans or something at the local food shelf, but nope, they say they don't do that. One person tried to get my to sign up by myself, after I SPECIFICALLY told her I wanted to do something together with my 6yo. I'm kind of just giving up on the whole volunteer thing right now.
    Anonymous

You could ask your local church and find a family to help.
    Emmagr

Answer by Emmagr at 7:02 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• This is the one time of year that we don't do volunteer work. The agencies are overloaded with volunteers between Thanksgiving and New Years.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:26 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I do agree that we shouldn't just volunteer all year round. However, as a volunteer coordinator for an organization that primarily needs volunteers spring through fall, I ask that volunteers contacting me now volunteer at Project SHARE or another organization that is currently in need, and I set it up with a group that I know needs the help. There is an increased need between the weather getting cold (homeless come in off the street, so shelters get packed to max) unemployment rates rise (seasonal jobs usually end in October or early November around here, and so by December, bank accounts are hurting) Stress causes personal issues (such as domestic violence calls rising- the most dangerous time of the year for a battered wife, next to pregnancy) Christmas naturally falls at the end of the month- unfortunately, most people have been paying bills all month and are out by the end, even without Christmas.
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 11:12 AM on Dec. 6, 2009