Obsessed with getting Married

I am so obsessed with getting married. Everyone around me is getting married. My BFF from college just got engaged to her daughters father and they are getting married in Jan. My co worker just told me she got engaged and is getting married in Oct. My daughters father is getting married tomorrow. And poor lonely me is no closer to getting married now than I was when I was 18. I dont know if I really wanna get married. I think Im just lonely.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:26 PM on Dec. 5, 2009 in Relationships

• It's ok to be lonely. Getting married sometimes isn't what it's cracked up to be especially if it's with the wrong man or for the wrong reason. I have so many married friends who complain. I'm single and I love being single. I would not remarry on a bet. I'm finally happy and it's bc I can be myself. Being single works for me. I have the freedom to do whatever I want. Maybe this obsession with marriage will pass. Maybe you can just dress up in the dress and have a party but not have to deal with the responsibilities of such a hard relationship. Remember that half of them fail.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:30 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• You sound like me but my obsession is with having more children. Everyone around me is pregnant and having babies but me. I don't have a man so it's kinda impossible. I feel your pain.
    Anonymous

• take your time. better to wait and get married to mr. right than to get married to mr. right now.
    Anonymous

• Listen, I got married when I was 19 and wayyy too young! I wish I hadn't cuz my hubby and I have a lot of problems and feel like I want to leave. I wont go into the details, but I think its better just to date someone and if you love them, then just move in together.
    Anonymous

• Being married is a great thing, when its with the right person. Enjoy being single and your life as it is. The right person will come along when you're not expecting it. I was with a guy for 2 1/2 years and it was great. Then we got married and it all fell apart. We were the last ones of our close friends to get married but it turned out that we were not ready for such a commitment. Now Im remarried and we are happy and starting a family. Our priorities are totally different than they were in my first marriage. My husband now enriches my life in ways I never thought possible. So just give it time. When you are really ready and not just wedding crazy, it will happen.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 4:56 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Just remember that marriage does not make a relationship good. A good relationship of being best friends and then lovers could make a good marriage. I have a daugther in her twenties and one a teen and a son in his twenties. I've brought up my kids telling them with or without marriage or children they are needed in this world and worthy of life. Cause, I married late and tried so hard to meet a guy for years then stopped. Finally a met a guy who wasn't great. If my kids came to me sad confused, lonely cause they wanted kids, a partner I know I would wish I'd brought them up to know their very own worthiness of being. I've gotten them involved in community service - that's friendship on a holiday that's sad in heart for a volunteer or patient. It's friendship afterwork or on weekends when there's no partner or kids. Try thinking of how much your skills are needed in your community or county. Libraries have free groups!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 5:12 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• first you need to find the right guy to get married to. Marriage is not like apair of jeans that are in style.

Answer by louise2 at 5:20 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I understand what your going thru, id like to think that its a phase but im not sure. like you everyone i know is engaged or alreadi married so i feel like ive been left in the wind. But keep in mind just because evryone else is doing it doesnt mean you should remember the saying ( if your friend was jumping off a cliff, would you follow her?) when the rite person comes along you'll know and dont rush it. dont think of it as alone time use this time to figure out what you really want in an companion if you havent already found mr. right.
    chanel0709

Answer by chanel0709 at 5:46 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• That happens sometimes. Its like when I wanted to have a baby, everywhere I turned I saw a pregnant woman. Listen, get busy & fall in love all over with yourself. Take care of your daughter, your health, home, education, finances and so on. Do positive things to keep you from thinking about getting married. When you are not thinking about it, you might meet someone to marry. Take care and enjoy your singlehood! Its not that bad.
    Yve538

Answer by Yve538 at 5:51 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Thanks ladies. I really appreciate your comments. I hope its just a phase. I am enjoying life. I have a wonderful daughter who is 23 months. I have a career. I just finished my masters and Im loving it. I just still feel incomplete.
    Anonymous