cold

my 14 month old has a cold. is there any any cold medicine i can give him? it seems like its all 2 and up

djsmommy13

Asked by djsmommy13 at 4:57 PM on Dec. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It would be best to ask your doctor. Most docs are not suggesting ANY cold meds these days because of side effects in the littlest ones. If your child has a fever, Tylenol/ Motrin are okay, give him plenty of fluids, use the bulb syringe to suck the mucous out of his nose and use a humidifier if you can.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:37 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Cold medicine doesn't help get rid of the cold. It only prolongs the cold by covering up the symptoms for a short time.

Stick to the usual...humidifier, saline drops, steam, elevation, suction and Tylenol for discomfort.
    Anonymous

• The drs really wont give out anything for a baby. I usually try tylenol and a warm bath. Sometimes the steam of being in the bath will help out. You could also try a cool mist vaporizer at night, that always seems to help my daughter.
    emilysmom401

Answer by emilysmom401 at 9:33 PM on Dec. 5, 2009