mothers' age.....

1) where you grew up what age range did you see in first time moms? where was that?
2) where you currently live what age range do you see in first time moms? Where is that?

I am constantly shocked at the age of some of the posters. Im not sure if it is because this is on line forum which tends to be more of a youth oriented activity, if society is changing, or if Im just living in a different world. When I was growing up you never saw teenager pregnant. I heard of two but it was in whispered tones and never flaunted. As an adult I was considered young to be having my first at 26. And now where we live I am 41 with a 15 yr old and am younger than my friends by years... one by over 10 yrs and our kids are the same age.
So is it where I live??? Who is on this site???? or what????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:08 PM on Dec. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I am 43 and my I have a 19,20 and 22 year old and DH and I are the youngest parents by far out of our childrens friends parents. Alot of their friends parents are in mid to late 50's and some are early 60's.
    DH's mom was 42 when she had him and he never wanted to be an older parent.
    We live in WI
    Anonymous

• I grew up in the panhandle of FL, and the age range for most first time mothers during that time was about mid 20's. I am now living in NE Kansas, and the age range for most first time mothers seem to be between 18-22 years old. However, I was not in the "average" category when I became a first time mother myself. I became a first time mother at the age of 17. I am now 35, married with 3 boys ages 18, 13, and 5.

Desirae17

Answer by Desirae17 at 5:18 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Hi, I'm 55yo and I have a 25yo, a 22yo and a 17yo. Two are finishing and done with college and one's in hs. I'm older by a couple of years than husband. In my town now moms are close to my age. In my first two towns I was always the oldest mom.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 5:18 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• In my middle school most of the 7th & 8th graders were either moms or had an abortion (not me, just saying that was my middle school). By the time I graduated HS I'd say 65% of the girls had children or were pregnant (the majority from MS had either dropped out or gone to a trade school not HS).

I was married at 21 & had my son at 22. That was pretty young for my group of friends (many of the girls we went to school with had kids they really weren't our friends).I live in NJ

I have cousins who didn't get married or have kids until they were in their 30s & mid 30s. They are now in their 40s & have 3-9 yr olds.

I always wanted to have my kids early in life (not in HS) but early. I figured any career I wanted would be there after my kids were each 5yrs old & in school, I could then go back to school & I wouldn't even be 30. I didn't want to start a family when I was older. All I ever wanted to be was a wife & mom & I am.
    Happ-eToBme

Answer by Happ-eToBme at 5:25 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I have no clue. I don't go around asking my neighbors how they old they are. My parents were 30 and 32 when I was born (their first). My parents were almost 10 years older then most of my friends' parents growing up. Most of my aunts and uncles started having kids in their early-mid 20s and that was in the 60s and 70s.
    I was 23 when my first was born. Most of my cousins that are my age (and many of the older ones) started having kids in their late teens/early 20s. Many of the older ones are grandparents in their 40s.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:28 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I was born in Ga. M ymom had me 3 days after her 19th birthday. She got married at 17 and no, she wasn't pregnant. I had my first three weeks before I turned 30. I live in a very small town (pop. 1000). It's not uncommon to see girls as young as 12 and 13 having babies. It pretty much seems to be the norm around here. I guess there's just nothing else to do and that's the way their moms were, etc.
    Anonymous

• My grandson is the same age as my SO's adult dd!!!! When I was growing up many ppl got married after high school or college and had children so age 19 - 22 was about the time so many of us got pregnant. Times certainly have changed and there are many teen parents out there. My son was a father at 16 ; however his gf was 19.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:39 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Okay well, I grew up in Southwestern Pennyslvania and Northeast Ohio, we moved to Ohio when I was 13. My mother and all of her friends had children right out of high school and all were/all happily married. I didn't know of any divorced couples until I was about 12. There was a boy in my 6th grade class who lived with his dad and his younger sister. Their mom lived elsewhere. They were all married in the late 60's early 70's. If they are no longer a couple its because they are widows/widowers.

As an adult, most of my friends were married between 20-25 and had kids before this point or after it. I got pregnant during my engagement, but it wasn't a big deal in our family. My uncle was born 5 mos. after my grandparents got married. (according to gram, this was because g.pa wanted his father who was a pastor to marry them and the roads were too bad to get to MD from Pa.) My other grandparents were never married. (cont.)
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 5:42 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• And my great grandparents... well my great grandmother was a divorced Methodist with 6 kids who married a man 13 years younger than her. He was in his 20's. Still not sure of the youngest child's parentage. I know that might come off as trashy or scandalous but they were all upstanding members of their communities.

Point is that, it doesn't matter how old a person is chronologically. Its a maturity issue. There are so many women caught up with "age", its sad. I got married a week after my 21 birthday and we had a two month old son. I was ready to have a child and be an adult. There are some women who have trouble with that at age 45 or older.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 5:46 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• When I was growing up I have no clue what the age for first time mom's were. I never really payed attention. I know my mom had my sister when she was 18 and when she had me she was 23. but my mom said she was the only one out of the people she was around that had a kid. BTW that was in IL My dad was 30 when I was born and I'm his oldest.

Now that I'm an adult I'm noticing that a lot of my friends that have kids started having them when they were older. I'm the youngest out of our group. I had my first son at the age of 22 but i am the youngest mom when it comes to my oldest son (he's 11 and is technically my stepson). His BM and I are the same age though. So she had him at the age of 16 when she had him but that was a whole weird story because she admitted that was planned but that's another story for another post. BTW this is in TN.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 5:53 PM on Dec. 5, 2009