Doggie Soap?

What do you use to wash your dog? We bought an oatmeal dog shampoo for our dog because my husband insisted that the dog needs to keep some of his oils (or something?). I have no desire to strip my dog of needed moisture giving body oils (?), but the soap we are using doesn't seem to get him very clean. He still smells bad after we wash him too. I mean, if a dog was ever going to smell good, wouldn't it be right after you wash him?
So anyway....Suggestions anybody? Please?

honeyb3

Asked by honeyb3 at 5:48 PM on Dec. 5, 2009 in Pets

• Ever hear of wet dog smell? It's not good-- clean or dirty! It's not being clean that makes them smell "nice"-- ever hear of a rose-smelling wolf? :)

The oatmeal shampoo is great, but you probably want a shampoo with a deoderizer in it, too. You can go the cheap route and use diluted Dawyn-- just be careful not to get any in his eyes.

I use a shampoo and conditioner-- probably not necessary, but it leaves the coats smooth (like conditioner does for your hair) and it smells nice, too. At dog groomers they have a spray they put on your dog to make them smell good. You can buy it at the pet store, too.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 5:56 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Oatmeal shampoos are great for dog with sensitive skin or allergies. I use Dermal Soothe on my dogs it is one you get from the vet meant for dogs with Allergies but i like the smell of it
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:58 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• My dogs always smell like wet dogs after a bath until they are almost dry. I use Buddy Wash Lavender and Mint Shampoo. I only bathe them at the most once a month and usually not even that often, unless they roll in something nasty.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 6:31 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I use Dawn dish soap - don't remember where I read about using it but that was what was suggested (something about fleas?)
    Anonymous

• I use an oatmeal shampoo and I also use Mane & Tail Conditioner from Straight Arrow (last I knew, it was available in WalMart). The conditioner is one that I've used for over 20 years. If it doesn't get completely washed out, it doesn't hurt the animal (or human); in fact, it deep conditions if left on, although I only do that overnight. My show horses and dogs had a beautifully soft, shiny coat.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 7:19 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• We use Dr. Bronners--The citrus one is good.

Washing with anything will remove a lot of the natural oils in the dogs skin. Washing does the same for us. But like people, dogs replace that oil in about 24 hours. (Ever not washed for face fro 24 hours? Yup, it's the same for dogs.)

Wait 24 hours before putting on frontline flea treatment.

You really can use any human shampoo if your dog doesn't have allergies. And Dawn brand dish soap is used to wash ducks and birds effected in oil spills.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:52 AM on Dec. 6, 2009