legislate morality vs socially responsible?

I've heard the liberal argument that you can't legislate morality. But isn't that the same as what they call socially responsible? Almost?

shellbyrne

Asked by shellbyrne at 5:54 PM on Dec. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• No. When you're socially responsible you are CHOOSING that path. When it's legislated it's forced on you, which is wrong in a free nation. Besides, what's "responsible" for one person isn't for another.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:10 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• You got it Shell. They claim the HCR bill is "social responsibility" (we all take care of each other). BUT when someone says it is NOT their responsibility to take care of someone else then the left claim how you lack morals and compassion.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 6:31 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Charity, (along with responsibility and accountability), begins at HOME! People need to make choices as if there were no (government) safety net. That's being socially responsible!
    Anonymous

• ***You got it Shell. They claim the HCR bill is "social responsibility" (we all take care of each other). BUT when someone says it is NOT their responsibility to take care of someone else then the left claim how you lack morals and compassion.***

I didn't think it through lol. I guess that in that sense they are kind of exactly the same thing lol. Liberal hippocrites.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:55 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Yes. IMO, they are the same.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:06 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I didn't think it through lol. I guess that in that sense they are kind of exactly the same thing lol. Liberal hippocrites hypocrites.

Anonymous

• Yep...and dont forget how alot of liberals want loads of social issues taugt in the schools that supports their agenda

it is exactly what they scream to be so against
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:34 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

I won't forget because it isn't true. I want schools to focus on teaching math, reading, science and comprehension. I would also like some "extra's, like music, art and gym. That's my "liberal agenda" for school

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:03 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• You people are acting as if the HR bill is FREE. It is not, it is a paid for option, so you are not forced to only deal with teh Insurance offered by your employer. In most states only One Insurer covers the majority of the state. Getting a plan on your own is very expensive so you have no choice.

As for it providing subs for low income, I have no problem with that as we PAY for them ANYWAY if they are treated in a hospital and cant pay...TAXPAYERS pick up that bill. Not to mention the catastrophic consequences of all the bankruptcies caused by health care costs on the surrounding community

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:08 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I've really never thought of it as a 'liberal' argument. Just a common sense one. The government is in no position to tell me what choices I should make. It's not the role of the government. That's my job as a free person.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 9:54 PM on Dec. 5, 2009