Cheap meal ideas?

What are some that you know of? Anyone have any good recipes for cheap and easy meals? I have 3 little ones, so I don't have a ton of time to cook.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:44 PM on Dec. 5, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I am not one that likes to spend a lot of time in the kitchen either but my family likes to eat well. Most of my meals take 30 minutes or less to prepare and cook. We have some casseroles like shepherd's pie, wet burritos, chicken pot pie, tator tot casserole, chicken & rice, chicken lasagna, baked spaghetti; skillet meals like chicken alfredo, stir fry, hamburger goulash, turkey burgers; crockpot meals like chili, roast chicken, roast beef, etc and main dish salads like oriental chicken salad, taco salad, German potato salad, bean salad....   I have a LOT of recipes on my blog Rhonda's Homestyle Recipes

michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 6:53 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• sheperds pie
    mashed potatos on top of cooked ground beef mixed with veggies and gravy...takes about 30 min.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 6:46 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Get a crock pot if you don't already have one. You can make soo many meals in a crock pot. The leftovers can be reused for creating a new meal, or just reheated for the same meal the next day. I am making Chuck Roast in the crock pot tomorrow and it's SUPER easy. 3lb chuck roast 10oz can of cream of mushroom soup, chopped onion, garlic, red potatoes cut in half all into a crock pot on high for 4-5 hours. The ONLY downside to cooking in a crock pot is smell it cooking all throughout the day. However, if you want super cheap meals that can serve your family, then a crock pot is a way to go. You can make soo much in one and there are soo many websites that have great recipes!! Foodnetwork.com, allrecipes.com, cooks.com etc.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:54 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• the crock pot thing is great, when dd was a toddler, i didnt have a ton of time either. in the a.m. before she even got up, i would throw a bunch of stuff in the crock pot for 7 hrs or so and leave it, by dinner time it was all done. my fav. is beef stew, cubes of beef for stew, carrots, potatoes, celery, whatever veggie you want, worcestershire sauce and you've got a great cheap meal.
    Anonymous

• Crock pot is the easiest way to go for cheap meals. I have a family of 3. If I only do crockpot dinners and they feed us for about 3 days, I can get dinners for an entire month for about 100 bucks. That is a lot of meals and only cooking about twice a week. It works well for us and I do casseroles that also last 3 days and I can get lunches out for my toddler too. Just depends on your imagination in the kitchen.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:29 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Look into OAMC (once a month cooking). You spend a weekend preparing large batches of meals and then dividing them up to be reheated through the month. Always cheaper than cooking every night, plus you get the nutrition of using real ingredients instead of trying to doctor up processed crap to make it go faster. Google OAMC and you should find tons of sites with recipes and planning ideas.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:30 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I have lots of tasty, healthy, family and budget friendly recipes; send me a message offlist if you would like some.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:56 PM on Dec. 5, 2009