My kid is a teaser.

My daughter is 6. Her teacher always tells me how she teases her classmates about everything. I have tried everything! Punishing her, talking to her and trying to make her understand how bad these kids feel..Nth works! She teases kids about everything! Hair, glasses, rare names, trouble reading etc.

Yesterday a mom came to me after school and told me that her son doesn't want to go to school because my daughter is always teasing him about his weight problem calling him "fat" and all the other kids laugh.

I don't want my daughter causing pain to her classmates by embarassing them and insulting them. That's a type of bullying, isn't it? What can I do to get her to stop doing that? No one has done it to her so she doesn't know how it hurts...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:13 PM on Dec. 5, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I applaud you for recognizing that your child is a bully. I recommend you to read the book the bully, the bullied and the bystander so you can fully understand where her problem is coming from and the effect it will have in her life as well as in her victims.

bebita

Answer by bebita at 7:43 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Good for you for not wanting her to continue her behavior and yes, she is being a bully!!! It doesn't help that her classmates are laughing at her behavior. It seems that her teacher needs to punish those that are laughing too. If you don't stop this now, she will get worse and can be suspended from school. Maybe a child counselor can help you with her behavior. Talk to the school counselor for help.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:54 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• do you make fun of others? kids learn what they see..
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 9:03 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• kids pick up on everything, i bet your family has a habit of making fun of people but no one notices it. she's six she can go into a time out everytime she gets a bad report--also you could spend one day at school with her---when she knows you mean business she will stop.
    ohio4

Answer by ohio4 at 11:38 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• My daughter does this too,and it always makes me feel so bad and takes me back to my aweful hell days in school when kids would pick on me and call me dog, ugly, and make fun of my name,they called me carrots, margarine,fire crotch, just really rude comments.. Kids CAN leave emotional marks on people forever and I taught my kids how bad it hurt me when I was a kid. They remember how I felt, however, sometimes they slip and just need to be reminded.. Teach them that some kids will take what they say to heart and some commit suicide over it because they feel worthless and unwanted by all,and sometimes no amount of consoling someone thats been hurt can come out of it.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 4:21 PM on Dec. 6, 2009