Is benadryl safe during pregnancy....unisom is making my heart race and im in need of sleep!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:18 PM on Dec. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You shouldn't take any medication for something it's not intended for whether your pregnant or not.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 7:26 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Benedryl is fine and if you ask your doctor he will tell you the same thing. Its the only thing they recommend to prego people to sleep.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 8:09 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Yup! That is what I took to help sleep. I actually used tylenol pm b/c I was in pain as well.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:18 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I actually take benadryl to help sleep, my dr is the one who told me to. But I only take it occationally, like after being agrivated after a few nights of not sleeping. I dont want to take it too often and get the baby used/addicted to it. Plus, I have noticed less movement the day after I take it, because like us preggos, it makes baby sleepy too. Good luck and happy resting.
    spcjones_83

Answer by spcjones_83 at 8:33 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• no
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 9:02 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• My doctor just told me to take it a few days ago, I am 37.5 weeks. It's a class B medication, so it's not great for your baby, but it shouldn't hurt your baby either.
    Anonymous

• If unisom is making your heart race, benadryl will make it worse - I have a heart condition and benadryl is super un-safe for me (and it's really not recommended in pregnancy, either) - it makes my heart to nuts, there's an ingredient in it that causes it - and it happens in healthy people too, not just ones with issues. Tylenol PM would be a better choice - my midwife told me half a glass of red wine to relax my body or a tylenol pm was the safest things I could do (just not in the same night of course).
    Anonymous

• Benadryl can be taken in pregnancy, but I wouldn't recommend taking it every night. Talk to your doctor about what he/she suggests you do if this is a persistent problem. You might try some other relaxation techniques, going walking, taking a bath, etc to help you sleep.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:37 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Try chamomile tea, Rescue Remedy or valerian

Answer by rkoloms at 7:54 AM on Dec. 6, 2009