How did your child go from saying just words, to putting two words toghether..and then sentences?

Did they just do it on their own, or did oyu teach them in some way?

NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Asked by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 7:25 PM on Dec. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's just natural progression. Keep modeling and they'll follow. Be careful not to correct them harshly, there's no need and it can make them less confident in their speech. If they say "I eated a cookie" instead of correcting them outright you can say "you ate a cookie? Was it good?" Some kids jump around all over. My sons first word was actually a sentence, he said "want milk" but then he used mostly individual words for a few more months before using more sentences again. My favorite was the first time he said "I love you" because you could see he was trying really hard to get it out properly. Wicked cute.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 7:39 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• It just happens. My LO said "Dada illow" (Dada's pillow). First 2 word sentence and we moved on to "What do you mean?" I haven't heard that one in a while. She is now saying "Rea the book" (Read the book). It is great to listen to them when they are learning. I just try and correct her they way the pp says. It hard to not emulate the words that are really cute. Just be patient b/c once they start talking you can't shut them up.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:17 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• My son started talking in sentences this summer and they basically just do it on their own. They learn by listening to others talking to them. :) The first sentence my son said was "Night night, mommy." Now he says things like "Turn it on, turn it off, help me build, help climb please, etc." It will just start happening. :)
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 2:00 PM on Dec. 6, 2009