Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Testing for autism(Question for moms of autistic children)

My 4 yr old was evaluated through the school system for autism in march of this year.He qualified for their special ed preschool program.Speech therapy and occupational therapy.I'm thinking about having him formally tested with a specialist.I just want know if any of you could tell me what type of testing they do?I just want to know what we would be in for.Is it worth putting my child through that right now.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:41 PM on Dec. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (5)
  • it isn't anything invasive, and is much like that of the school systems. just more comprehensive. it isn't anything to be fearful of.
    my sis has two autistic children, and i remember how frightened she was when the first entered school, she went and had him tested again, and again, and again (was in denial). with the second, she saw symptoms early, and had him tested when he was about 2 1/2... he has become more regressed, and she has opted to HS him (i disagree wit this greatly!)... so, back to the original question. their evaluation will be more in depth, but nothing to be apprehensive of.

    Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:50 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

  • Pretty much what he's already been through, but the specialist actually knows what to look for. The school system canNOT diagnose a kid with autism.

    My sons have all been through the evaluations and the school system here tells you right up front they cannot and do not test for autism. They test for speech, fine and gross motor skill delays. They will also note (and help with) social or emotional delays. But a school cannot diagnose autism.

    Definitely have him seen by a specialist if they are telling you he's autistic.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

  • Annon 7:42 is correct. The school cannot diagnose your child - they can evaluate for speech/motor skills and then tell you if they see a delay or that the child's behaviors could be that of Autism, but they cannot come out and say "your child is Autistic".
    What you should do is talk to your pediatrician and ask for a referal to a developmental specialist, or someone who specializes in Autism.
    They will ask you alot of questions about your child, his development, and they will evaluate your child- observe him, ask him questions- and then be able to give you their findings and any diagnosis.

    Answer by MizLee at 12:56 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

  • I agree with the above posters. I also recommend getting him tested outside the school district because school districts are notorious for denying service or not giving everything that is available, you have to get outside advice and you have to advocate for your child. Outside testing will give you ammunition if you needed.

    Answer by teamquinn at 5:34 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

  • I took my son into pediatric nuerology and psychology to have him tested on my suspicion that he had aspergers (he's 9). What I came out with was a diagnoses for nonverbal learning disorder and apraxia. Neither of those 2 things qualify him for special ed help under an IEP, which he so obviously needs. In my fight with the school to get him the help he needs, Ive heard time and time again that a clinical diagnoses is not the same as a school diagnoses. The school is now in the process of testing and evaluating him for aspergers. Since the symptoms of non verbal learning disorder and aspergers overlap so much (he has all the symptoms of aspergers without the classic autism symptoms), Ive been told that he will probably qualify for the schools diagnoses of aspergers which will entitle him to an IEP for PT and OT. So yes, the school can diagnose autism, but I would definitely get it backed up with a medical diagnoses.

    Answer by Tarinia at 11:34 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.