Stake or Cross - Does it even matter??

Many know the belief that Jesus was crucified on a stake and not a cross is one of the major differences between some fundamentalist groups like the Jehovah's Witnesses and mainstream Christianity.

Now, this happens to be something I have researched personally. The Greek word, stauros, is sometimes used to describe a simple stake, and other times a more complex form such as the cross. And there is both historical and archeological proof that both were used around the time of Jesus' death.

This however seems to point of great tension between some members of the Christian faith. And a point which has been used on both sides of the argue to disprove the beliefs of others...

So, I ask you, is this a subject that really matters? Does it really matter WHAT Jesus was nailed to, or just that he lived and died? Also, why is this point so relied upon to prove false beliefs when this is something we can't prove either way for certain?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 8:00 PM on Dec. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• well i guess it really dont matter...maybe we can call it a holiday stick
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:14 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Doesn't matter.  He was crucified and rose from the dead.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:21 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Holiday Stick - That's twisted! lol!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:23 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I say Jesus died on the Cross. When I think of someone dying on a Stake, I think of vampires and evil.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:27 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• jw's dont use it because it was originally used as a pagan symbol for a god, I think it was the sun god, dont remember now, but it was for a god. like you said the Greek word, stauros, is sometimes used to describe a simple stake.
    Anonymous

• YES I THINK IT DOES. WITHOUT OFFENDING ANY RELIGION. IT ALL JUST SEEMS LIKE EVERYTHING IS JUST A BIG BUSINESS. PEOPLE BELIEVE AND WORSHIP THE CROSS USING IT LIKE AN SACRED IDOL. WHEN THE TRUTH IS HE DIDN'T DIE ON A CROSS. BESIDES SERIOUSLY, GOD FORBID, WOULD YOU WEAR A NECKLACE OF A KNIFE THAT KILLED ONE OF YOUR FAMILY MEMBERS.
    WHY IS ANY POINT RELIED UPON FALSE BELIEFS. WE DO CELEBRATE CHRISTMAS ON A WINTER DAY, IGNORING THE FACT THAT HE WAS BORN ON A FALL DAY AND THE SHEEP WERE STILL OUTSIDE. SO...??????
    Anonymous

• I dont think that it matters to believers one way or another. As long as they believe in their heart that Jesus is Lord, its all good.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 8:32 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Nice try not offending any religion :-) thats for the anon up there !

The point of the cross is the message it conveys. It is where He died, took upon the sins of the world so you wouldn't have to. Thats why we no longer sacrifice a lamb or two pigeons... It is a reminder of what He did. I do not worship the cross. I prefer the cross to be plain without the body of Jesus on it ( pendants) It means to me that He did it, It is finished and He has risen! :-) A stake does not convey that message and what did a stake look like in those days?
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:50 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• does anyone really need a cross to remind them of what Jesus did? shouldnt that already be in your hearts and minds everyday?
    Anonymous

• Anon :05 shouldnt it be on your heart and mind everyday that Jesus did not exist and that the Christian bible is wrong where as theCatholic bible has somewhat a more accurate substance?
    Anonymous