how long does it take for breastmilk to dry up after breastfeeding

amikata

Asked by amikata at 8:21 PM on Dec. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Anywhere from a few weeks to whenever. I know women who quit years ago and still lactate lightly. I know women who never breastfed that never dried up fully. It varies so much.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:41 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• It can take years and years to FULLY dry up and some women never actually do..but if you mean to dry up enough that its not large and painful...about a week if you don't get an infection. There are ways to ease back on nursing and supply will slowly dry up, much easier and also using sage will dry up milk

tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:13 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Mine weaned so gradually that I never really noticed my milk going away. One day they just stopped and that was it. I was never uncomfortable or engorged, and I never leaked after that.
    Anonymous

• If the child is not over a year (a) why would you do that when you have a supply that will satisfy your precious one? Doesn't that child deserve the best? (b) you can donate to so many that NEED that golden juice to make sure their precious one lives (yes it is that important) (c) It could take years if baby did not wean naturally.  Somethings are definitely worth the extra effort and this is a big one!!!

Anonymous

• Wow anon :18 - that strongly opinionated for her to continue lactating yet not comfortable enough to let us all know who you are.

Anyways, my mom lactated for years after she stopped BFing (which it's true, it wasn't "natural" weaning, but there were medical issues). However, a friend of mine stopped BFing & she stopped lactating within a couple of weeks. You just never know. I've heard that you can put cold cabbage leaves on your breasts & that it'll help...
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 1:45 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• It took me more than a year, but you don't need to worry about this for a while.

There is great information here: www.babyledweaning.com

Answer by rkoloms at 7:41 AM on Dec. 6, 2009