Could someone offer thought on differences of Methodist and Episcopal religions?

Related to the individual religion's thoughts on women as ministers, women's standing within the each church, and more controversial subjects? I'm floating and searching for myself but I don't want any bashing of my questions between any of us. I'm asking this in a thoughtful respectful manner with thought asked for as a response not controversy as responses. Just hoping for informative caring, helpful comments from moms. Thanks moms.

lfl

Asked by lfl at 8:49 PM on Dec. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Methodists are Protestants and Episcopal is a branch descending from Catholicism
    Anonymous

• My grandparent's UMC preach to abstaining from all alcohol, and their periodic communion is done with grape juice. They don't recognize saints. Ministers usually rotate between churches every few years, and I have heard of there being a few female ministers.

From my experience with visiting the Episcopalian Church in college, it has many similar traditions as the Catholic church. Wine is definitely allowed, and they do communion every week. They recognize saints, too.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:04 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Episcopalians ae also Protestant. Methodists descended from the Episcopal church.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:30 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I'm not sure what the real differences are between the two, have you checked to see if the religions have a website that can explain their beliefs and differences? I know that shortly after the Methodist split from the Episcopalians that they themselves disagreed and divided further.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:36 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• As the previous poster said - Methodists came from the Church of England/Anglican/Episcapalian church. The answer isn't easy because there are differenty types of Episcopalian and different types of Methodist (from United Methodist to Free Methodist) - especially if you're talking about more "administrative" manners like who the church will hire as a pastor (will they hire a woman or not).
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 1:46 PM on Dec. 6, 2009