Karo Syrup for constipation

Has anyone used it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:58 PM on Dec. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• When my son was a toddler he had to have that and Metamucil for constipation it worked well. I don't remember how much though, what ever it was the pediatrician told us how much.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:00 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• sorry I haven't. But I know that prune juice, apple juice, and caster oil work great.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 9:02 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• 1/2 to a 1 teaspoon and if they don't have a BM with in 12 hours then give them 1 1/2 teaspoon mix it in with there drink (milk, juice) Be ready for an explosion My DD went with in 5 hours. GL momma
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 9:05 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• that NEVER worked for my son, and i didn't want him hyped up , i went and found Gerber apple & prune, he liked it and that worked much better. good luck

EarthHippy

Answer by EarthHippy at 9:09 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I've read on Karo's website that it's not intended for infants, is not recommended for infants, and has the potential to harm an infant.

Knowing that, I'd never use it. Just wanted to pass the info along.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:06 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Nope. We used probiotics. They help you go if you're stopped up, they help bind up diarrhea if you're loose. I was giving my son a probiotic a day, under doctor supervision, from 2 months on, in his bottles (split between 3 a day).
    Anonymous

• They have linked using Karo Syrup in infants with botchulism. Use warm water and brown sugar instead.

salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:31 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I didn't use it on my kids, but I know it was used on me! Not sure if it works for constipation or not, but I know dark karo syrup on bread was a favorite of mine when I was about 6 years old or so. My grandfather used to give them to me. Haven't had one in years but I do remember that they were yummy.
    Lesli

Answer by Lesli at 11:07 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I honestly, in my 14 years of being a parent and 40+ years of being alive, never heard of a constipated healthy child until I joined CafeMom last spring.
    If your child drinks water;has less (or no) meat, dairy and banana; eats whole grains and legumes; does not eat simple/white grains; eats lots of fruits and vegetables; then you won't have this problem.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:25 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Yep. I used it in my babies' bottles under the guidance of their pediatrician.

The sugar in the syrup is what helps things move along. That's why when they have diarrhea, you're not supposed to let them drink anything with sugar in it (juice, gatorade or pedialyte) because sugar makes diarrhea worse.

rkoloms...did you even ask if it was a baby or what? If a baby, they're not supposed to be having water anyway! If you've never heard of a constipated kid, then you've lived quite the sheltered life.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Dec. 6, 2009