Why is a 5-point harness carseat better than a 3-point harness?

I'm trying to search for some information for a friend who wants to upgrade to a 5-point for their next child (due later this month) and is trying to convince her husband, who wants proof.

tyheamma

Asked by tyheamma at 9:30 PM on Dec. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• Five point covers more of the body's surface to further protect the child in the event of a crash. It secures the child in further then a 3 point harness will cover. The belt itself is more secure in locking in then a 3 point harness. Check with specific websites to show diagrams and tested information to show her partner why the five point is better.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:01 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• She may want to check with the hospital! Ours will not release your child to you unless they are in a properly installed and current 5-point harness car seat. If the seat is 5 years old it is too old!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:33 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Ditto to the PP. I would never use anything, but a 5 pt. My almost 6 yr old has a 5 pt harness. It's safer, just google it and you'll get tons of info. Check out some of the car seat safety groups on here, they will have lots of links.
    Anonymous

• oh and my state as well, will not release a baby unless you have a 5 pt harness carseat to take them home in.
    Anonymous

• Most seats, but not all are 5 point harness.... so if it's a used seat make sure it's not outdated.
    The 5 point harness keeps the baby from sliding to one side... with 3 point there is nothing holding their hips in place... and little newborns can get their legs up and out of the harness...
    But I think scientifically the 5 points help spread the crash force all over the body rather than on just a few spots causing more severe injuries
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:09 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• LOL What is a 5 point seat? I have never heard that. Also I never got asked that at the hospital they just asked if I had a carseat.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:24 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• The hospital will release your baby if you have a 3 point harness! That's stupid!

A three point has straps in the crotch and over each shoulder.

A 5 point has straps over each hip, crotch, and each shoulder....it holds the baby in the seat at more points, supposedly making him more secure.

There are 3 point seats still on the market, they are safe...but obviously a 5 is going to be safer.

Think about a seatbelt you wear and the harness a race car driver wears. Which one is going to hold you in better?

Seats older than (average) 5 years are not supposed to be used and considered unsafe.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Dec. 6, 2009