Can you eat less than 1000 calories a day healthily?

I did a calorie counter thing that said I could eat 1649.4 calories a day and lose one pound a week without exersize. Well I figure if I eat less than 1000 and exersize I'll lose more, faster. But I don't want to make myself sick...do you know how many a day you can eat and be fine? I can't seem to find any good answers on my own.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 PM on Dec. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• You must have gone to a website that estimated your "Basal Metabolic rate", which is what your body NEEDS to SURVIVE and be healthy. 1600 sounds about right for a woman of average height. I would not go much less than1600. Anything less than 1000 and you risk damaging your body. When you don't eat, your body actually goes into survival mode and lowers your metabolism dramatically. When you do eat those minute calories, your body stores them as fat to keep you alive because it thinks its starving.

To keep your metabolism up, eat 4-5 smaller meals a day, roughly 400 calories each. High fiber cereals in the morning are wonderful for your metabolism, as are fresh fruits. Eat something like a nut & dried fruit trail mix in the afternoon--the protein keeps you going.

I am an exercise physiology/kinesiology graduate. I know my stuff...If you'd like to PM me with more ?'s you can.
    Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 10:54 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• That is unhealthy to consume less than a 1000
    Anonymous

• You need to eat your calories. If not your metabolism will slow down completely!
    Anonymous

• i don't think healthily is a word. no offense, it just kind of made me chuckle. In regards to eating only 1000 calories, it would be preferred that you eat the correct amount and just exercise more to lose more weight, becuase your body needs the nutrition.
    Anonymous

• You should not go below 1200 without medical supervision. Your body will go in starvation mode and start digesting your vital organs.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:41 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Actually, you can. Think about it like this...You eat two servings of fruit might have 100 calories each. Two servings of vegetables will have the same. Dairy would be higher depending on fat count, but it would average the same. I don't eat a lot of meat, but I know that a chicken breast has 150-200 calories in it. Grains are about the same. You'll probably get 1100-1200. Which is what I eat and I'm healthy. And on some days I don't eat all my dairy or grains and I don't feel sick. Fruits and veggies are very filling and boost your metabolism on their own. Also, eat smaller meals rather than three big meals. That will do wonders for you metabolism as well.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 9:45 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Sara, what you say is not what she is asking. She wants to eat below 1000 calories a day, you just said yourself you eat more than that, some days not so good. She wants to do this daily. NOT good.
    Anonymous

• I told her that she shouldn't aim for 1,000 but rather than 1,100 or 1,200.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 9:55 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• sounds like an eating disorder to me...isn't that what anorexics do? starve themselves with only hundreds of calories and tons of exercise?

eat healthy, and regularly and exercise regular and it will melt off.....
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:03 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Youe anly want to eat 1000 calories a day is that even possible . i try to eat 1200 and i feel like i am starving all day I think you should eat the 1600 but make sure the calories count and are not empty calories like fast food also myabe you could add more excersise in. if u just subtitute healthier ingredients into your regular diet it will lower your calorie count without making yourself starve
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 10:09 PM on Dec. 5, 2009