What's a good starter sewing machine?

My 13 year old is interested in learning to sew, but I have no clue what sewing machine to get her. We're planning on getting her one for Christmas, just need help narrowing our options down. I've been told the simpler, the better for a beginner. I'm looking at a Singer and a Brother. Thanks for any help you can give.

lrackley

Asked by lrackley at 10:13 PM on Dec. 5, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I have a great basic Kenmore from Sears. 10years old and still works perfect.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 10:14 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• oh and they're a bit less expensive than the singer and the brother machines.
    hypermamaz

• I would recommend the Brother machine that they sale at walmart i think its like $79?? its very basic, i bought it earlier this year when I began to sew. It comes with an instructional DVD that really helps. My 2 friends at work also decided to buy a machine right after they saw me doing fun projects, the both both different brands, one a singer and a little more expensive both say that their machine is too complex, they dont know how to use and they end up breaking needles fast also no DVD. Good luck its a great item. Also I found mine on EBay brand new for cheaper than the walmart price i paid like $40 good luck
    Anonymous