13 month old with a cold

My son will be 13 months on the 7th and he has a pretty bad cold right now. Sneezing, congestion, crankiness, coughing, runny nose and watery eyes-- the whole nine yards. I feel so bad for him :( I'll be taking him to the doctor this week coming up, but I was wondering if theres anything I could give him to help him feel better in the meantime?

AdensMommy1107

Asked by AdensMommy1107 at 10:14 PM on Dec. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Not really - infant tylenol if he seems to be uncomfortable. Vicks on the chest & soles of feet (with socks overtop). Lots of love, liquids - limit dairy, especially milk, as it can make mucus thicker (some people say it's a myth, but it's true for some people). Make homemade chicken soup and feed that too him - it's not an old wive's tale that it helps fight illnesses. Prop the head of his bed. If it's just a basic cold, the doctor won't do anything for him.
    Anonymous

• saline drops and bulb suction for the nose. . . has he had honey yet. . . you could try some for the cough (natural suppressant) or warm liquids (soup broth) to help break up the mucus. cool mist humidifiers also help.  push the fluids but skip as much sugar as you can. . . good luck. . . it's rough when they are sick.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 11:34 PM on Dec. 5, 2009