My Son The Monkey

My son is a very happy baby but the kid climbs like a monkey and he's very daring about it.. Which scares me but since I stay home with him all day I've learned how to pick and choose my battles well when my husband is off he doesnt exactly agree with me on this fact any time our son climbs somewhere he think he shouldnt he will get on to him when I may not always because again I pick and choose my battles cause I just dont have the enregy to fight all day.. Well then this cause's our son to get mixed signals which I know isnt good.. So my question is how do I get my husband to understand this? Or should I just do what he's doing and get on to him for everything that my husband does and spend all day fighting him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:41 PM on Dec. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think you and hubby need to find some middle ground! You didn't mention how old your son is but mine is 15 months old and he is a HORRIBLE climber (example would be that he has figured out how to climb the gate the leads upstairs!!). I feel your pain mama, but you and your husband need to get on the same page and figure out what is acceptable to climb and what is not. I know in our house, it is okay to climb up on the couch, but it is NOT okay to climb up the kitchen chairs and stand on the table, and so does baby boy. Doesn't mean he doesn't try, but you just have to both be one step ahead and know what other is going to allow and not allow. And if you come up with any contraption that keeps a monkey off the stairs, let me know, because I am not psychic, but I think I might have a hospital trip in my future if he keeps this up!!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:00 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Agreed. You and your DH need to find a middle ground on this subject. When it comes to climbing (I believe) you should get on your son about it, because you don't want him thinking he can climb on everything. There are some things that he could very much get hurt climbing on. Whether he falls or gets into something that he isn't supposed to have. You should show him the proper ways to get off of couches/chairs, and what things he's allowed/ not allowed to climb on. The sooner you show him the proper things to climb on, and how to get up and down off of furniture, the easier it will be for you during your days. Be consistant with your child and don't let him get away with something that he isn't allowed to do. Always be on him about that if he continues to do it. Otherwise he will ignore you and do it over and over. Talk with your husband and find a middle ground, don't force each other to agree if you really don't agree.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:34 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I don't think kids are that easily confused.

Frankly, you can just tell the truth: 'Daddy's concerned about you falling when you're climbing, so please don't climb when he's around.'

If your husband has an argument about that, I'd love to hear what it is.

Part of the difference is that you're with your son all day, every day, so you find his behaviour easy to predict and your know his capabilities, while your husband is constantly playing catch up --all the things he's done while dad's at work that you don't think of mentioning, or forget or didn't particularly notice. It means you trust your son, while his dad has no reason to.

Consistency is for pudding.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:43 AM on Dec. 6, 2009