Asked twice, nobody will answer

In a question last night, someone asked if people thought attending the ceremony of another religion would upset their personal god(s). Several Christians replied saying that it would. I asked if that meant it would make God mad if they went to a bar mitzvah, but no answers. So for those who feel it's against God's will to attend any kind of service for another religion, are bar mitzvah's off limits? How about Passover?

Note I said this is for those who feel that way (other religious ceremonies make God angry). If you don't feel that way the question isn't about you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 PM on Dec. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Ok, i'll be the first to answer. If I want to learn something about another religion, i'll just go to the source....there is nothing wrong with informing yourself on what other's believe...ESPECIALLY if it's going straight to the source!
    I think it would only "offend" God if I were practicing that other religion.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 11:31 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• i didn't see the question you are talking about however, I have been to wedding ceremonies not of my faith and my MIL (pentecostal) came to Mass for my husband's conversion.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 11:46 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• I've attended churches that are not my religion & I see nothing wrong with it.
    mommorgan

Answer by mommorgan at 12:04 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• The Christian religion (as many others) believe that if you worship under the name of a different religion you are worshiping a false idol. You are betraying your god, so to speak, by praying to that of another religion. However, by attentind a church, a recital, a gathering of a different religion you are doing no harm. Though you may interact with someone of a different religion you are still faithful to your god, to your beliefs. You can even debate on the side of another religion, but as long as you ultimately come back to your religion your belief you are still faithful. Attending an event or church held by another religion isn't unfaithful. Unless (according to the Christian religion) you start worshiping god under the name of another religion. That's how I understand it at least.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:20 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• The God of Christians is also the God of the Jews. Why would he be offended?
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 1:27 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I attended a New Age wedding.. God wasn't offended at me attending. It was my Uncle's wedding, I did pray that he wouldnt do one thing tho haha and yay I didn't have to partake in the sage blessing.
    My Uncle actually let his sister, my aunt sing Raise Me Up! It was a beautiful song! Her Husband read 1 Cor 13
    However the rest of it was new age/american indian stuff. Interesting to watch.
    I have been to a Mormon funeral and that creeped me out and my 7 yr old son told me it was way to religious! Meaning too much tradition and garbage. I never said a word to him but he just didnt like it. Kids are more perceptive that we are.
    I have attended Passover as a Christian, Jesus attended Passover as well. So no He wouldn't be offended!
    I went to one of the Fall Jewish feasts... I cannot remember which one and that was interesting. I could not wait to eat the food, the ceremony stuff was almost 2 hrs long I was like ugh! :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:40 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

Because he is also the same god of the Muslims and more than a few Christians around here would rather die than have anything to do with a Muslim. Just trying to figure out where the line is on that double standard.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• What double standard? He *is* the same God. I still would not have anything to do with a muslim person by choice. I don't agree with THEIR choices.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 2:44 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I think many Christians have no problem attending Jewish ceremonies because those are the ceremonies that Jesus attended. Islam is different, because if a Christian believed that Mohammed was really a prophet they would have to consider converting to Islam. I think most Christians probably feel that Mohammed is one of the false prophets warned about in the bible and to attend any kind of ceremony instituted by a false prophet would be wrong. There are other religions that fall under the Christian umbrella that were started by false prophets and attendence at those ceremonies would also be problematic.

Of course, many of these religions started by so-called prophets after Jesus' time wouldn't allow a Christian to attend anyway, unless they were trying to convert that Christian.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:50 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• We are Jewish. We have attending Hindu and Christian weddings, christenings, etc. and have yet to be "smitten by the fury of G-d"

Answer by rkoloms at 6:36 AM on Dec. 6, 2009