what is it??

my 12 month old has verticle red (they kind of look like scratches) on both sides of the top of her lip... they are both closer to the corners of her mouth then they are the middle of her lip... but they both look the same..and she woke up with them this morning and they are still there but havent gotten any worse or better?? I highly doubt they are scratches ..its too much of a coincidence for them to be on the same spot on both sides..what could it be??my

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 PM on Dec. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Could she be biting her lip? That's the only thing I can think of.
    phantomphan

Answer by phantomphan at 11:38 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• u could be right, she has her two bottom teeth that just came in a month ago..and I think I saw her biting her lip
    Anonymous

• My son used to suck in and chew/suck on his upper and bottom lip when he was teething. Creating marks on his lips. I would guess that would be the same with your child too. It could also be a simple irritation that will probably go away by tomorrow.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:50 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• Perhaps she was putting her fingers in her mouth and scratched herself...I know babies that put their middle two fingers in their mouths, resting the index and pinky fingers on their top lip, since their nails grow quickly and are generally sharp, this causes marks or scratches.
    JDsWifey

Answer by JDsWifey at 4:06 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Are they dry or moist?
    If they are dry then it could be she is chewing on a blanket or something else and it left some marks. You can put some chap stick on them to help ease the sting and dryness for her.
    If they are moist, then she is most likely sucking or chewing on her lips. Getting new teeth is exciting for the little ones, but they are confused as to what they are supposed to be used for...lol.
    If you notice that she is chewing or sucking on her lip during the day, you can give her a cold, wet washcloth to gnaw on. Her teeth may be bothering her and she needs to bite down on something to help it.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:27 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Did you give her a cup of red koolaid?
    Anonymous