My son is 17 months and has started the terible 2's he will thow himself down so that he hits his head. Any advise on what I can do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:30 PM on Dec. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• "guess you shouldn't have done that then" then ask " are you ok?"....i wouldn't baby him, but make sure he's not done anything damaging...and definitely don't feed into tantrums, then they know they can get a rise out of you, if you do!
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 11:33 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• walk away. he only wants attention and when you give in he gets what he wants. both of my boys did that, and I would just walk away and leave them there crying. they soon learned that it didnt work and stopped doing it. Now they just cry mommie all day long, but hey, its better than a concussion.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 11:43 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• My son does that same thing at 18 months. He will intentionall go over to the wall and hit his head against it. Not hard, but just enough to get me to react. I don't feed into his tantrums at all. I say "Don't hit your head", but I never run over to him and coddle him unless I feel he's really hurt himself. Which so far hasn't happened. My son has the most dramatic tantrums. He will throw himself onto the floor and roll from side to side like he's trying to put out a fire. He does this to try and get me to react, but I ignore him and walk away. If you pay attention to the tantrum they will do it time and time again, and they will get more exaggerated. When you give attention to the tantrum you are rewarding them for what they're doing, and giving in to the reaction they want. If you know he isn't hurt, then just walk away. He will soon realize that you aren't going to give in and hopefully have less tantrums.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:48 PM on Dec. 5, 2009

• My daughter is 16 months and I can already see the terrible twos coming. She will throw herself down and start kicking her feet when she doesnt get her way. I just walk away and usually she stops. I think all they want is attention and to get their way. Walking away lets your child know that you're not falling for it. Sometimes she will hurt herself in the process and Ill tell her. "you're okay" . I wont cuddle her because I know she didnt truly hurt herself and she'll get what she wants.
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 12:24 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Put him in the corner and walk away. Don't let him out until he's done with his fit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• two out of three did this, and #3 isnt old enough yet... with my oldest, I would say "Alex, you're doing it wrong, here, let me show you..." and I'd get on the floor and show him how to throw a real temper tantrum. Seconds into it, he was laughing so hard he forgot why he was mad. He used to sit on the floor and beat his head against the register vent (I think thats what its called... the big vent on the wall near the unit)... DS2 is almost 2 and he will get on all 4's and bang his head on the floor... I distract him with the same method.

I tried time-outs with DS2 but he LIKES going to the corner. At bedtime the other night, he refused to get in bed so I asked if he needed to go to the corner - he jumped out of bed, went to the time-out corner and stood there with his nose in the corner. Every time I picked him up to take him to his room, he would scream "No!! No night night! Corner!!!"

MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 11:15 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• On a particularly bad day... when my almost 18-month old is throwing frequent tantrums, sometimes I will throw myself on the floor and mimick him. It makes him stop and forget what he was throwing a fit about in the first place... and most of all, laugh. It's a good stress-reliever for me as well. Lol. :)

Otherwise, I just step over him and go about my business. If I can tell he is about to throw himself on the floor, I'll catch him and lower him to the floor and then step over him.
    Anonymous

• im have the same think happin to me i just walk a way and let them go at it then went they stop go tell them you do not like it. then went they are not gettting what they wont they well stop it all togither hope it work for you
    nortonmother

Answer by nortonmother at 4:09 PM on Jan. 19, 2010