Is it normal for the strings of the iud to hang out?

I have had my iud for about 3 weeks now. when I first checked the strings they were way up there. Then today while I was useing the bathroom i noticed that the string is practically hanging all the way out. do you think it is coming out? should I call my midwife on monday?

motherwanting6

Asked by motherwanting6 at 11:52 PM on Dec. 5, 2009 in Health

• Yes call right away. The strings should not be coming out. Have you been feeling any pain? Can you feel the IUD? If so call right away.
    melliesmom1207

Answer by melliesmom1207 at 12:01 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• It depends on how short they trimmed them. Doctors are starting to leave them a bit longer because there are issues with cutting them really short. Over time the strings will actually soften and start to curl a little bit so they wont hang out at all. Mine where trimmed so they just poked out a little and now I have to search a bit for them because of the softening and curling. Just check it like they told you how to see if it fell out (i really doubt it did though). If it still hangs out after softening you can get them trimmed a bit shorter.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 12:34 AM on Dec. 6, 2009