Would you date a much older/younger man?

I am currently dating a man that is 19 years older than I am. So far all is great, but it seems as though everyone in my life must put thier two cents in about it, either by making jokes or giving negative opinions. So just wondering if anyone has dated either a much older/younger man, and what your experience has been. Was it worth it? Did you get a lot of flack from family and friends ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Relationships

• I dated a guy 20 years older than me once. He dated younger women bc his maturity level was really at about 12. After about 3 months it was apparent that he wasn't suited for mature relationships.

My 1st husband was 10 years older than me. I also discovered that he dated younger women bc he has control issues that an older and more established woman wouldn't put up with.

Those were the 2 worst relationships of my life. I don't think age was the reason, but in hind sight, it could have given me a clue. Like why is a guy this old not been married before? Why doesn't he have kids? Why doesn't he have an established career? Why hasn't he held a job since finishing his PhD? Oh... the loser exes list!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:17 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• The guy I'm with is 16/17 years older than me (17 for two months then it's my birthday). The only one of my friends that makes a fuss about it is my best guy friend and he's in love with me so I don't pay much attention when he objects to me dating anyone. My dad is nine years older than my mom and they don't have a problem with his age. I was almost with a guy who was 42 and I was 19. Our age has never made a difference in our relationship. I act older than I am and he's a kid at heart so it evens out.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 12:05 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• DH is 3 years younger then me. 19 years is a big age gap but as long as you are happy I don't see the big deal. It's your life & no one else has to date him, just you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• i've always been with men older than me...never younger
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:07 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• My husband is just shy of 9 years younger than I am.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:08 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• my hubby is 3 years younger than me...my dad was 15 years older than my mom and honestly I have no idea what they had in common-but they were together until he died so...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 12:15 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• As long as you are both comfortable with the age difference and if it causes no real complications in your relationship, ignore everyone else. Just be happy.

My aunt's boyfriend is between 15-20 years older than her. He's a nice man and they seem very happy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I dated a man 12 years older and enjoyed my time with him. He had commitment phobias, but I fell in love anyway. Now we're just friends. I ended up marrying a man 4 1/2 years younger than I am. That's working out well. :o)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:40 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• My father was 13 years older than my mother.  They were happily married for almost 49 years.  My father passed away 5 days before their anniversary.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:50 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Not that much older and not that much younger... I would never date someone who would have went to school with my parents... they are 19 and 21 years older than me. If it works for you and you are happy, go for it and don't let what others say effect the way you feel about someone.

GL
    ProudMom_5703

Answer by ProudMom_5703 at 10:18 AM on Dec. 6, 2009