Pregnant w/ Severe Insomnia. Can I try Melatonin?

I have severe insomnia and have for years. Most nights I take 2 benadryls and 1/2 an ambien and that's the only way I can get to sleep. I also used to take 1/2 xanax a couple nights a week, for the REAL bad nights I couldn't sleep, but I'm having to stop that because of the baby. And I don't want to overdo the ambien either, so I'm wondering about melatonin, and if any of you have had any experience and/or success with taking it while you were pregnant. Thanks!

coffeegirl25

Asked by coffeegirl25 at 12:12 AM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• another thing you might try is a magnesium supplement (safe while pregnant)... i too suffer from horrible insomnia. i also used catnip & chamomile tea (much safer than pharmaceuticals)- also, being dehydrated made it worse.
    do you have an evening "routine"? i finally found that it helped me a lot to have a consistent routine for my mind to adhere to, and helped me ease into quiet mode.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:16 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• You can take Benedryl. It is safe and the benedryl is the active ingredient in Tylenol PM.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• same problem try to reset your body for like 2nights straight stay up you will be so tired the last night that you will want to be in bed by 9 30 or you could not sleep during the day force yourself to stay up go for walks clean then dinner an lights out just lay there till you fall asleep
    ohmama213

Answer by ohmama213 at 1:08 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Melatonin is a hormore; probably not a good idea. Drink chamomile tea.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:23 AM on Dec. 6, 2009