Explain to me how pro-choice isn't pro-abortion?

I know it's controversial, but I want to know your opinion. Plus I'm doing a speech about the debate over abortion in a college course, so I'm immersed in the back-on-forth arguments lately with all the research I've been doing.

My opinion is that if you are pro-choice, you are pro-abortion. You think women should be allowed to choose whether to have an abortion or not right? So that means you agree with the act of abortion. You agree that it should exist. Pro-life advocates do not agree that abortion should exist period, no matter whose choice it is. That's why, the way I see it, if you are pro-choice, you are condoning abortion, even if you say "it's not for me..but" that means you still think that yes, it is okay for doctors to perform abortions.
What's the deal?

Bernie19

Asked by Bernie19 at 1:10 AM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I vote pro choice. Abortion is something I could never do. It is also a place I could never work. BUT..I have seen first hand the extremes women will go to when abortion isn't an option. Desperate women do barbaric things. The bottom line for me is a safe medical option must exist for the woermn who will abort at any risk. My personal line is I don't have to stand in front of God on judgemnet day for the choices someone else made.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Pro-Choice represents a respectful climate in which all individuals and families have the ability to take responsibility for their own reproductive destiny.

Pro-Choice is an ideology that supports the right to make a decision and support the decision itself.

Pro-Choice is the ability to make your own life choices not only about reproductive freedom but also the right to choose our own individuality and how to conduct our lives.

Pro-Choice is the freedom to do what you want to do with your body, respecting other women's choices, then remaining pro-active to keep choices legal.

Pro-Choice is having the power and knowledge to pursue and achieve spiritual, physical, emotional, mental and reproductive freedom.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• yes..if you are prochoice i believe it means you are pro abortion. I am prochoice...i've never had an abortion ..i wouldnt want to but if something unfortunate came up during a pregnancy i would choose to abort if the doctor was 100% percent sure that my child would have some severe birth defects...thats the only reason i would choose to do it. Other women have their reasons..i do believe it should only be for emergency though.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:17 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• "Pro-Choice does not mean Anti-Life or Pro-Abortion. Pro-Choice means that one is in favor of WOMEN being able to choose what they want to do to their own bodies. Please do not mistake the two."

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• i totally agree with the first poster about how desperate women can be...if there wasnt abortion they would find away to get rid of it anyways...dumping the baby. People still do it...there would just be more of it
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:20 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• and what i meant was...if you are pro choice..you agree with abortion rights
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:22 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I am antiabortion and pro free will. I think we will all have to stand before God and answer for our lives. I can't choose for you. I can choose to be as helpful as possible but you ultimately will have to make the choice.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 1:23 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

Pro Choice/ Anti Life leads to a lot of violently slaughtered babies actually.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

That shows the low character of the host (can't call a person who has an abortion a mom or a woman) Most abortions are done because the host was a moron who either didn't use birth control or used it ineffectively. So hosts who aborts are nasty in your own opinion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• if you agree with the right to abort then i believe that means pro abortion...i know pro choice means "you have the choice" but in that choice is abortion ...which would mean you dont mind it..so you are pro.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:28 AM on Dec. 6, 2009