How and When should I start switching my baby to regular Vitamin D milk instead of formula? Also why wont he drink juice cold? Is it because I spoiled him with warm bottles?

My baby boy is 9 months old. I want him to start drinking juice and start him on regular milk soon. He is not cooperating! Do you just have to keep trying even when he pushes away? Also about foods, he eats mainly carrots, peas, squash! He doesnt like turkey and gravy or beef and gravy or bananas! Is he just a picky eater or should I be doing something else? Sorry just in a wondering mood!

babymarine0307

Asked by babymarine0307 at 1:44 AM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think you are supposed to wait until 12 months for regular milk instaed of formula or breast milk.
    Jessycwr

Answer by Jessycwr at 1:47 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• i am going to a class in 2 weeks to learn how to switch and my little one isnt one till march. the class was recommended by doctor.
    babymarine0307

Answer by babymarine0307 at 1:49 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Well, milk isn't suppose to be start until 12 months so be careful with that. As for the juice, some babies just don't like it. My daughter has just now started drinking juice and she's 13 months. I give her mostly water with just a tiny bit of juice to add some flavor. She loves water. She also quit formula cold turkey and went to milk after she turned 12 months and had no problems.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Does your son eat baby food or veggies and fruit cut up? If it's mashed baby food, try doing it cut up in tiny bite size pieces. Once my daughter started eating the bite sizes, she pretty much completely stopped the baby food. You might be able to get him to eat new things with that. I think they like the independence.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• It is highly recommended you wait until 12months for milk unless it is for a medical purpose. Is your doctor recommending you switch this early, or just sending you to the class to learn how when the time comes? (if you don't know 100% I advise you ask first). Also, juice isn't necessary yet & has a lot of sugar! Try watering it down considerably, your LO might take it easier that way too. About the food, babies are picky just like the rest of us, but if you're really concerned just ask the doctor.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 1:55 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• He's too young to put on whole milk, especially if he's not eating a varied diet of solid foods. By your description, I take it he's just eating pureed baby foods? You've got 3 months to get him used to real food, including iron rich foods. Switching to whole milk before then is just asking for anemia.

Doctors are human too and sometimes they say/do/suggest stupid things. You're the parent, it's your job to research and make the decisions that are in your child's best interest. Switching to whole milk now, when he won't even eat meat, would put your childs health at risk.

Have you tried table foods at all? My babe will be 1 in March as well and he only eats table foods... we skipped "baby" foods entirely, but most kids are capable of it at this age anyway. I wouldn't want meat from a jar either! Give him some real stuff!

And wait out the year for whole milk. Find a new dr too.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:01 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Oh, and they most definitely don't need juice at this age. Fruit is much, much better if you want to give a "treat"... give him cold cantelope (good for teething!)... ripe pears, banana slices... the juice can wait until he starts asking for it (in limited quantities, of course!)
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:09 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• i have no gave him any milk yet. the class they just said was for switching to milk. im not for sure if they mean now or later. he is eating the 1 baby foods in the jar. although he does eat mashed potatoes and mac and cheese that i smush up. he also drinks juice but only a bit and only if its room temp. i do not add water. he has been drinking juice for past 3 months and when i first started i put over half of it in water and slowly took it out. i know i am the parent and make the decisions on what my child eats/drinks. i just wanted to know what other mothers do considering i am far from home and have no one to consult in for these types of things and i hate doctors so that is why i posted this before acting on their sugggestions. i am a first time mother and i am doing the best i can.
    babymarine0307

Answer by babymarine0307 at 2:10 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• if your baby only eats certain foods , like the ones you mentioned , is ok , thats a phase they goo tru , you may experience the same thing (but different foods) when hes 2 yrs old . a lot of 2 yrs old just want to eat mcdonalds lol i have experience it lol , and you are not spoiling your baby by warming up his bottles , you are doing whats right for him , do you know that cold bottles can cause him a stomache ? and mild d right at his age , is still not a good idea , even if his doctor said it was ok . they are not always right !
    happymom1988

Answer by happymom1988 at 2:14 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• If you're going to give juice at all (and again, it's not recommended, water is much, much better for them), water it down. It should be mostly water, in fact.

Try him with some soft steamed veggies. I just steam them (carrots, broccoli, peas, asparagus, etc...) until they are soft enough for him to gum and put chunks on his tray. He only gets about half in his mouth... but that's okay, it's more about learning right now (and better for him to learn now while he's still on formula). He also gets meat... small bits of chicken, stewed red meat... anything he can chew. Whole wheat noodles can be fun! Brown rice is good for practising that pincer grasp.

I've never heard of a class to talk about switching to whole milk (but I've never used formula either)... but I'm sure they will be talking about it for the future. Some parents begin the transition at 10 months, but baby has to be ready. Doesn't sound like yours is.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:21 AM on Dec. 6, 2009