sleeping in the car seat

There have been times when my little guy will fall asleep in his car seat. Instead of waking him up when we get home and putting him to bed, I'll just let him sleep in the car seat.
Is this ok to allow a baby to sleep in their car seat or is it not recommended?
(FYI, my baby is 4 weeks old)

Munchkin09

Asked by Munchkin09 at 2:09 AM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's actually a SIDS risk. It's a very common thing to do, but it can constrict their airway and make it difficult for them to breathe. I did it with my first before I knew better... this time, I move him. Into the sling if we're out, and into bed if we're home. Not worth the risk.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:12 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Never wake a sleeping baby! Provided he's in a safe place he'll be fine. I have friends whose babies would only sleep in the car seat. Let him snooze there until he wakes and is ready to be cared for.
    SweetCamoMama

Answer by SweetCamoMama at 2:12 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• is it really? i thought it was ok to let the baby sleep there
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:20 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• For an older baby, I'm sure it's perfectly fine... but for newborns, they're so tiny that incline can cause problems... or so I have read! My first was such a horrid sleeper I wouldn't dream of moving him... luckily, my new baby will sleep anywhere, so moving him was never an issue.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:25 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I would think that with it properly aligned it would remove the ability of the baby's head to flop forward causing the airway restriction.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:34 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Many people let their baby sleep there. I would just make sure that your babys head is not hanging down tward the chest. Dont wake a sleeping baby!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:55 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• My daughter did it alot and still does it alot.
    IF she is out cold and doesnt wake up by the time we get in then I set her car seat in the crib and she wakes up on her own about 10 mins later LOL
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:35 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• the carseat oes not sit the same as it would in the base so prop the foot a bit with a towel or blanket and it should be fine
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• IT IS NOT A SIDS RISK!!!!! That is a stupid statement!!!!!

Hospitals have a preemie stay in a carseat for 2 hours before release, so them not being able to sleep in one is stupid.

If they were so risky, then why are they used in cars? why are you not warned not to go on long car rides or to let the baby sleep while riding in the car?

The incline doesn't cause any trouble, and if they are properly buckled in they're not going anywhere.

My son was a preemie and had to do the hospital test. the seat just sat there, it was not propped up on the foot.

And for the one who brought up "sids" stop trying to freaking scare people!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• If their airway is constricted, that's NOT SIDS!!!!!!!!! That would be a little thing called "asphyxiation" Look it up. Geez. Get your facts straight before going around needlessly scaring people!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Dec. 6, 2009