Interacting with your newborn

What kind of interaction do you have with your newborns?
The first couple of weeks were mainly spent feeding, changing, sleeping but now my baby is more aware and alert so I interact and "play" with him more.
What sort of mental interaction do you have with your baby? (i.e. reading to, talking to, making funny noises, making funny faces, baby massage, etc....?)

Munchkin09

Asked by Munchkin09 at 2:14 AM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i used to say "smile *kids name* or   sing (i sang my whole pregnancy while pushing on my tummy to mess w/ my babies)

_mimimosley_

Answer by _mimimosley_ at 2:17 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Imitate your baby. Baby makes a noise, do your best to try to make the same noise. Baby will love that back and forth communication and it is a stepping stone for future social skills.
    All the things you gave as examples are good too. Reading it important for people of all ages. Talking to your baby without using "baby talk" is good for teaching your child what sounds are acceptable in the primary language you speak at home. Funny faces are good. Or over exaggerated faces. Like SUPER surprised or OVERLY happy. etc. Baby massage is fantastic! Include it as part of your routine before bed.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:10 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I talk to my son constantly. I read to him. I tell him what Im doing whether its folding laundry, making dinner, whatever. We also do baby and me yoga which is really fun and good for both of us! I dont believe in "baby talk" so whatever we do, I talk to him as a person. I will also put my legs up over the couch and half lay down, putting him on my legs so hes looking kinda down at me and make faces at him. He LOVES it. He gets very verbal.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 3:26 AM on Dec. 6, 2009