coughing....

my daughter has a very dry and consistent cough through out the night... and it doesn't bother her cuz she doesn't wake up.. but it makes me wonder... we've given her nighttime cough medicine and its not working.. any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:56 AM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Health

• Take her to the doctor. My son had a cough that was dry and persistant and it turned out to be asthma. He only got it with viruses. He had "virus induced" asthma.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 3:03 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• If she does not have any other symptoms, then you should get her evaluted by a health care professional.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:59 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• My son had that- coughed all night. Finally one of our doctors figured out it was asthma- and treatment for that helped. And a good while later I commented to the doctor that when I exercised I'd cough and cough, he said well my son had to get the asthma from somewhere! He treated me for asthma and now I am fine. Sometimes it kicks in, but then I use an inhaler and am fixed up right away.

Answer by Bmat at 8:40 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Since she's old enough for cough medicine, she's old enough to try a teaspoon of honey which is safer.

Where does she say the cough is coming from? If she says it feels like a tickle in her throat, try the honey. If she says it feels like it's in the top of her chest or the bottom of her throat (have her point) I'd talk to the doctor especially since there are no other symptoms.

(if in the throat, it's not asthma)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Steamy bathroom and/or a humidifier for a few nights may work- with the weather getting colder, the heat coming on, dust building up, etc etc, you may just be running into a situation where the air is drier, something like that. Good luck!
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 11:29 AM on Dec. 6, 2009