I was wondering can you do this as a tax write off? How would you do it?

We are donating alot of clothes to the Salvation Army, also some tables and other things. Would we be able to use this as a write off? If yes how would you do that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:05 AM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Ayuh, you can with a receipt.
    We donated our dead vehicle to Purple Heart 2 years ago and they left a blank receipt with a little note that said we could place any value we thought fair for the vehicle as long as it didn't go above $500. Since the vehicle was still Blue Booked at a little over $2,000 dead, we went ahead and filed it as the $500 value.
    Our H&R Block agent just figured in the amount, it lowered our taxable income, and he kept the receipt to send in with the IRS.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:04 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I file my taxes myself using turbotax. There is an area that walks you right through how to do exactly this. If you are using a company that you see a person, be sure you ask salvation army for a reciept.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:56 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Make sure that you save the receipt with your other tax documents, and that you have enough donations to itemize. For more information, all the IRS 1-800-829-1040 - Hours of Operation: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m. your local time (Alaska & Hawaii follow Pacific Time).

Answer by rkoloms at 5:57 AM on Dec. 6, 2009