Am I allowed to have another baby shower?

Okay, my son is about 9 months old, and i am pregnant due in April, my children will be a year and a month apart, however even after saving all of his clothes when i found out i was pregnant again, i found i was having a girl last week. My mom says that i shouldn't have another shower, my best friend in flordia ( i live in ohio) says that she thinks i should have another shower and wants to get her mom, her and her cousin to help throw one. I'm kinda iffy on the subject, i mean i just made my relatives fork out money for Bruno's shower in feb of last year, and the only thing i really need for the new baby is of course diapers and clothes and another crib. I don't know what to do, my only thought was a welcome baby party after she is born to introduce her to my family but i just don't know and sure could use some imput! Thank you ladies in advance.

Bluesdawg02

Asked by Bluesdawg02 at 6:24 AM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes typically when you are having another of a different sex then you do havea another one.
    If they were the same sex then people say no you should not unless it has been a couple years since the first one.
    Have one for your little girl, and have fun! COngrats!!!
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:27 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Oh and the meet the baby party is a great idea.
    Mrs.Owen86

• You're right, another baby shower--especially so soon would be "tacky!" Baby showers are a "one-time" thing--to help you get started. If you had children say 7+ years apart, due to remarrying, and where you wouldn't have likely kept your baby things, then that would be acceptable to have a second shower.

However, if your close friends and family want to throw you a shower or welcome baby party that's of course their choice--but i wouldn't go sending invitations to everyone else like the first time around. And since you will only need clothing and baby supplies--gift cards to stores with those specific needs should be given--or the items themselves.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:33 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• No, by proper etiquette, you should not have another shower. The shower is to set the mother up with the basics for childcare, not specific types or colors of clothes. Usually another one would not be given unless it had been 5 years since your last. (google)

A meet the baby is a WONDERFUL idea!! If people want to bring gifts, they will...but also you're not expecting them!

If your friend wants to throw one for you, that is up to her...but expect some people to think it's tacky and not attend.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:55 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• You should never make someone throw you a shower.

However, if someone is offering, why not take the opportunity to let someone do something nice for you? Just don't ever expect a party, or presents, for any occasion.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 7:59 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I say do it !!!! Its for friends and family if they think its tacky ohh well ! Your going to need the help for diapers and what nots just go for it ! I just found out im preggo again and my son is already two but I still plan on having one for this baby !
    ryansmommy07

Answer by ryansmommy07 at 8:43 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Around here you get a shower (or a sprinkle which is a small shower) for every baby no matter how far apart they are or the gender. It's rude and tacky to ask someone to throw a shower for you but its not tacky at all if someone OFFERS to do it or if you host a meet the baby party.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 8:59 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I think it is up to whoever wants to give you another shower. If someone want to give one for you than its fine. Like the poster said above me, a sprinkle is what my close friends from church give us no matter how far apart or the gender of the baby. We do it just to celebrate a new life. We also bring meals to the family who is having a baby because the first week after giving birth, who wants to cook.....or has time to.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 9:04 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I personally think it is very, very tacky to have a second shower unless you are having multiples or the kids are many years apart. If someone wants to throw you one and it's a surprise that's one thing, but to know about it and want/ask for one is eh, especially since your son is only 9 mos. old. You should have the necessities by now regardless of gender. People tend to give gifts when the baby arrives so you will most likely get the girl clothes then.
    campeno

Answer by campeno at 9:23 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I had 3 kids and 3 baby showers, but all 3 kids were born 7 years apart. The last shower was more like a giant BBQ, though, that DH and I hosted and gifts were optional - we just wanted an excuse to have a cookout. We like to entertain.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 9:35 AM on Dec. 6, 2009