can you and if how, can you start breastfeeding a 4 month old who has been ff???

i have 3 boys, all i started bf then switched to ff because all they did was cry after the 1st week or so, then i would pump and got barely anything out. now i am out of work till mid-april so i have time to focus on trying to bf even if it is hard, but is it too late? can i start bf again and what should i do to try to get my milk back???

sleepymamaof3

Asked by sleepymamaof3 at 7:21 AM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No. It's NOT too late! You can relactate and your milk isn't completely gone.
    Also pumping IS NOT an indicator of how much milk you have. Pumps are not as efficient as babies and a lot of women out there just simply can not pump at all.

Join one of the breastfeeding groups on cafemom

And your babies cries were normal. Some babies are just demanding especially during growth spurts which happen a few days after birth, around 10 days, 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 9 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, 9 months... Women can mistake this for no having enough milk, when in fact a baby who is sucking a lot and seeming famished and breast obsessed is actually doing what they need to do to get MORE milk flowing in preparation for their growth spurts.

I have to go attend to my baby right now...but I'm sure others will pop in
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:03 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Start putting him to your breast & let him suck till he gets bored. This will cue your body to start producing milk. I take fenugreek seed to increase breastmilk supply & have heard yeast tablets or beer also work well. Don't pump, just nurse as much as he wants, when he wants. Make sure to increase your calorie intake, protein & dairy is good, you need bout 500 more calories a day to produce healthy milk. Keep taking your prenatal vitamins. Drink @ least 8 oz of water each time you breastfeed. Breastfeeding isn't always the easiest thing & I always feel incredibly exhausted after, hang in there, you can do it!!!!!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:44 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• group http://www.cafemom.com/group/379
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:22 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• The first step is to get him to latch and let him start nursing. Nature will do the rest. And be careful of what groups you join....too many BF nazi's out there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I would contact a breast feeding/lactation consultant in your area. You will need boo-coo's of support and your son may need some help learning to latch properly again. It can be done! You hear about it all the time. There are even women who adopt and are able to breast feed a child that was not from them! It is amazing what the body can do with time, patience and effort! Good luck!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:36 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I will PM you all the information I have to get baby back to the breast. It is too much to post here. Good Luck!!!

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 11:55 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Considering a friend who was never pregnant and adopted her baby lactated I am 100% positive it can be done for any woman who is persistent enough and willing to put in the work required. First go buy a supplemental nursing system and STOP feeding the baby from the bottle. Then check out www.kellymom.com relactating section for lots of advice. Good luck and good for you.
    Anonymous

• Here is a link to the La Leche League page with articles on relactation: http://www.llli.org/NB/NBrelactation.html

It can be done!  Good luck!

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 2:09 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• http://www.kellymom.com/bf/adopt/index.html
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 4:37 PM on Dec. 6, 2009