Can you get a UTI from someone....

My 4 year old keeps having to pee every min. she took a bath with her cousin thats 17 months 2 days ago and the 17 month old just found out she has a VERY BAD UTI (made her run fever and have a seizure the fever jumped so high in a short amount of time) So could she have gotten it by taking a bath with her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:11 AM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Um Im not to sure about that one. I guess it is possible , I think you can get yeast infections from even being in a pool with someone that has one. So you probably could get a UTI too.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:20 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• No you can not get a UTI from someone else. You should google " can you/child get a UTI from someone else" Every website I went to said no and gave a great detail as to why people get UTI and the symptoms to look for and how to treat it. From exp with my 16 month old if you for any reason think that she may have a UTI you diff want to get her to a doc and get it treated right away. It is very very painful for a child and can quickly spread into the bladder and kidneys.
    AProsser

Answer by AProsser at 8:38 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• No, you can't catch a UTI. They could have both gotten it from that bath, though, since baths can sometimes cause them.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 8:49 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• No.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• No you cannot. It's more likely they both got it from the bath, especially if there was bubble bath in the water.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:09 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Baths are a biggie for UTI's! Try to make bath time as washing up and getting out! Try not to use bubble bath everytime they bath! A mild soap aswell
    MarineAngel831

Answer by MarineAngel831 at 11:14 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• The biggest reason a little girl would get a UTI like that would be from not wiping properly. I don't know about the bubble bath or soaps being an issue for UTI, I've only heard (& experienced) those being an issue for developing yeast infections. Get her to the Dr. asap because a UTI can spread to the bladder & become an even bigger problem, not to mention UTI's can be incredibly painful. Good Luck.
    BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 10:30 AM on Dec. 7, 2009