What age do you think is appropriate for a child to get "saved" at church?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I don't think there is a specific age where you can say "this is it", sort of like getting a drivers license or getting to vote. :-)

I think it really depends on the individual, and at what point they can understand what exactly it means, and it depends on their heart, in whether or not they've accepted Christ or not. Because, honestly, this isn't something that a parent or a church can force or stop. You can't tell a child that, say, they are too young to be saved, if this is what they feel in their heart, and they have accepted Jesus, then, frankly, that's between the child and God. But, at the same time, there also isn't any way that a parent or the church can force someone to be saved, either. You (generic "you", btw), can maybe force them to get baptized, go through confirmation class, or whatever, but you can't make them feel something in their heart that they don't really feel, kwim?
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:45 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• not until they are in their teens and after being exposed to other religions (so they have a basis of comparison). they are incapable of making any even slightly informed decision until then.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:37 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Well ObbyDobbie you're pretty Anti-Christian so I'm not sure you would understand a child or teens desire for salvation. I know you may take offense to that but its like taking advice on salvation from an athiest.

I know children 8+ who have believed in Jesus as their Savior and understood exactly what that meant. They asked for baptism without anyone pushing them to do so. Its never something you should push on a child...or anyone for that matter. You teach them what the Bible says, pray for them and let God do his work in them. I remember when I was fairly young...around 11ish I thought I was ready to be baptized but then I was in my robe and I just started crying because I wasn't sure I was ready at the time. Some ladies told me" thats okay, you don't have to be ready today. Do this when you are ready." And they were so right because it wasn't long before I was confident in my decision and even excited about it.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 9:52 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• As long as they can understand and desire it for themselves there is no too early. Even if over the years they learn about other religions and search them (as I did at a later age) that doesn't take their salvation away.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 9:53 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Mama- I hate to burst your bubble... I likely understand more than religion (especially christianity) then I will ever be willing to admit to myself, since being raised in a home full of such beliefs, and being forced to actively participate in a ministry role through my teen years
    children do not possess the cognitive ability to process the concept of what a higher power actually is, until they reach their teens (at least) though they may be able to imitate behaviors, and express "their own beliefs and desires", it is because they have been indoctrinated, and have learned that this is a rewarded behavior. although they may not have been 'pushed" into these behaviors as you put it, i disagree. any child that has been presented with a POV as "truth" has been forced to believe, based on the thrust that the adult has forged with the child. the child will not question the beliefs system because they know no different. hence forced
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:11 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

I'm with her on this. When I was a kid- I did the whole-asking Jesus into my heart thing and I think it was mostly done because we always sang "Jesus loves me" and whatnot and it was very sweet and of course kids want to be loved and feel safe- you know? and also- I didn't know ANY different. once I was 14 or 15 I started to realise that there were other ideas and thoughts on religion and God and wanted to start learning more... I think it is impossible to fully understand what you are doing if that is the ONLY thing you have been taught...what happens when they want to know more like I did?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:15 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• In most baptist churches, it is after a child is a teenager. At that age they are really capable of understanding what is it to "be saved"...a younger child will know who Jesus is and all but are really just following what their parents are teaching them, not making the decision for themselves...

A child is pure and innocent, and in no need to be saved by God-they are already special in his eyes....

and I don't think Obby is anti-christian-she was just making the point that it needs to be a person's individual choice and a choice really can't be made without learning all that is involved. I think it is worth considering....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

I agree with her religion should be a choice- not forced EVER on ANYONE just because a parent is a certain religion (any religion) does not mean their child has to agree with that religion. Sure it is the religion the child is most likely to be because it is the one he/she gets the most exposure to, but kids should not be considered a religion until they have information to make an informed decision.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 10:28 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Exactly what sailorwifenmom said.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 10:31 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I think that when the child/person decides she/he wants to be saved. It should be a personal choice not something imposed to her by the people in their lives.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 10:34 AM on Dec. 6, 2009