how long after your water breaks do contractions start comming?

and what is it like when your water breaks? Mine has never broken before so just wondering!

mommy-

Asked by mommy- at 8:44 AM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• With me my contractions started b4 my water broke. My water broke on its own only with the first baby, the other 2 it was broke, but i was in the hosp when it broke with my first son. The contractions became way stronger after my water broke though. It was different with my first son, i heard a pop b4 my water broke and then i felt warm fluid running down my leg. It didnt gush out like i expected.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:59 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I was sitting down when my water broke. It was a gush after I coughed. My contractions did not start until they gave me pitocin. Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• It really varies...
    Some women (like me) have "PROM" which means water breaks and there are no contractions~ no labor. Maybe they will start within hours, days, weeks. Of course labor WILL begin at some point. But that can depend on how patient a mom is (and her care provider!).
    I waited over a week with that baby.
    My water broke while baby was coming out with the next delivery. It really varies!
    ;-)

Were your babies born in the caul then? (sac intact)

It was like I was having a very heavy, runny period when I was gushing. I went through a LOT of maxi pads every day...
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:29 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• It felt like a water balloon popped inside my belly...just a slight feeling of a "blump." lol It's one of those things you can't really explain. I was on the toilet, honest to goodness truth, so I couldn't tell how much water came out. I had contractions before and that is what caused the water break...and then they picked up after.
    campeno

Answer by campeno at 9:30 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• It feels like how you would imagine. You just feel a bit of a "goosh". The amount varies greatly. I just slowly leaked. The contractions started soon after my water broke. I had DD just 7 hours later!
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 9:44 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I was sleeping and just woke up and then felt a gush of water. I ended up needing Pitocin and 35 hours later my son was born!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• My water broke with my first and labor didn't start - so they induced me. (If that happened again I would just stay home and wait it out). Water gushed down my legs. With my 4th I was having contractions and was dilated 9 1/2 cm when I went to the hospital (last Sunday!!!). They ended up breaking my water and the contractions just got harder! He was born an hour later.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:35 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I was in full active labor in the hospital both times when my water broke. It broke on it's own and for that brief moment, I felt relief. Then, not so much!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:55 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• My water breaking felt like I just peed my pants a little. /blush And then every 10 - 20 min. I'd get another little gush. The first time it happened, I thought my bladder decided to call it quits and I was peeing myself. It took an hour and several changes of panties to figure out that my water had broken. LOL!

With both my son and daughter, contractions started about four hours later, and were about 30 min. apart and gradually got closer together. About 13 hours later is when everything really picked up, and babies were born around four hours later.

Everyone is different, though. I hope you have a smooth delivery!
    Jen5253

Answer by Jen5253 at 1:31 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I had to have mine broken for all three. labour was in full progress it would just not break on its own.... but whenthey did break it it felt like a huge gush - so strange.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 1:31 PM on Dec. 6, 2009