scared out my mind...

my baby girl recently turned 3 mnths.. and she has started.. just trashing her head side to side while she is trying to sleep.. or even while shes already asleep.. its scared me so much bc.. sometimes she does it so fast... couldnt that cause the shaken baby syndrome.. or even could it be something worse.... hellpp.. has this happend to anyone.. is it normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would ask your pediatrician, neither of mine have had that happen.
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 8:53 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• no, that can't cause shaken baby syndrome- that takes the force of an adult VIOLENTLY shaking the baby.
    now, is she just being sleep twitchy? or is she shaking? is it just her head, or is it the extremities as well? other than that, does she seem normal?
    unless she has some other weird occurrence i wouldn't freak out- all of us become twitchy in our sleep.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:01 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• My baby girl is 6 months and has done that off and on when she is wanting to sleep and trying to relax herself I guess. I wouldn't worry about it. As stated earlier, what they are doing is not strong enough to hurt them.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 9:11 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• its just her head.. nothing shakes...and when she wakes up shes normal ..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• She can't cause any brain damage by moving her head around rapidly, don't worry. Check to make sure she's not trying to move cuz of an external cause, blankets too tight, over her head, etc. Let your ped know but she'll be alright.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:32 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• If you're that "scared" why have you not called the pediatrician instead of asking on a message board?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Call the doctor.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 11:30 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• My son would shake his head back and forth right when falling asleep. It gave me a headache to watch him! Lol! Talk to your doctor, but it could just be her comfort "thing" to help her fall asleep. Weird I know, but my son grew out of it!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:30 AM on Dec. 6, 2009