If you wear a leather coat or jacket

Do you try to take better care of it then you would if it was any other type of coat or jacket ? I see them wore out when it is raining and they act like it is no big deal if they get it wet or not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My husband has a leather coat. If the leather isn't dyed and treated properly, then it will spot and or stain when it gets wet. But if it's made and treated properly, there's no reason you can't wear it out in the rain. (Suede is a different matter...)

Look at it like this - how many shoes are made of leather - not just dress shoes but also things like tennis shoes - that don't get ruined if you step in a puddle... (They might get wet and muddy, but that doesn't ruin the leather.)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:59 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Mink Oil- waterproofs. i oiled my duster & hat religiously when i was riding all the time, so i would be protected during rodeo events, etc. did the same with my boots.
    dyed leather tends to crack, and requires more care in the long term- so yes, i did take better care of my leather than i would have any other FABRIC, because it requires care.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:11 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I stopped wearing leather. It just is not in style where I live here. Besides, I freeze my butt off and get sick. SO I just wear sweats with layers or wear a parka or vest.They make you look more trendy. Leather after it rains looks dull and gross....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I don't treat my leather much different than any other fabric, except my suede bag. Leather is very durable and looks great if you just oil it every few months. I am more protective of my cream wool coat than I am of most leather.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 12:56 PM on Dec. 6, 2009