bumper for 8months old

i have had a bumper on my daughters crib since i bought it but when i trying to lower the crib yesterday bcause she is pulling up the bumper guard ripped and it wont tie in one section so i was wondering. is there an age where the bumper is no longer needed? she likes to sleep right up against the crip so this protects her head. please no rude comments. just needed some opinions.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I never used the bumper. And even if you do take it out and she sleeps against the bars I'm sure she'll move over if she starts to feel uncomfortable with them bieng so hard. GL
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 9:08 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I started out w/ a bumper but took it out cuz my little one liked to bury her face in it & try to suffocate herself to death lol. She still sleeps w/ her head against the bars but she's much more careful how hard she places her head there. You can take the bumper out, she doesn't really need it. My ped recommended against a bumper in the 1st place bc of the suffocation risk.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:31 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• i like the bumper because her legs and arms wont get stuck. i prefer the bumper. she never burried her head in it. just slept against it. but every doctor recommends something different and recommends different things. so i just go by what i think is really best. but thanks for ur input.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• It's never "needed". You can remove it at any point, or you can fix it and put it back in. It doesn't matter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I'm thinking of taking the bumper off. She goes where she wants now anyways (she's almost 9 mon and is walking while holding on to things now). She is starting to use the bumper to try and climb up on and sometimes slips off of it and hurts herself somehow anyways lol. If it's bugging you, I'd just take it off. Your baby will be fine.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 11:26 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Bumpers are never needed. As my pediatrician says, their main purpose is to make the nursery look cute. I never use bumpers beyond 6 weeks. The only reason I use them in the beginning is my babies seems to not like the big open crib. The bumpers help it feel more cozy for a newborn.

Once babies become mobile (rolling) they can get caught and sufficate in their bumper. Once they start stainding they can use it to climb out.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:07 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• in my opinion get rid of it!! she could use it to climb out of the crib and fall and hurt herself really bad
    mommyajay

Answer by mommyajay at 3:16 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• You're supposed to take away the bumper and mobile as soon as the baby can pull himself up. They are both strangulation hazards, plus most babies figure out how to use the bumper as a step to pull themselves out of the crib.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 3:30 PM on Dec. 6, 2009