"Back in my day"

I just randomly thought of this, I dont know if your grandparents are the same but mine and my husbands have always said this...
" Back in my day we walked to school 10 miles up hill in the snow both ways"

1. How was it up hill both ways? LOL
2. How was it always in the snow?
LOL
This just cracks me up everytime I hear it.
Also Isnt it funny how the distance always changes LOL ?

Mrs.Owen86

Asked by Mrs.Owen86 at 9:09 AM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I love that saying. My dad tells that to the kids all the time and they always roll their eyes at him. The funny thing is my dad grew up in the city and his school was across the street from his block. There are no hills and just one intersection to get through, took just a couple of minutes to walk to school. I know. I went to the same school for several years before it finally closed because of funding.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:22 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• LOL I love grandparents stories :)
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 9:10 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Lmao! Yep my Grandparents have said the same thing to me. I remember when I was younger the same thought occurred to me and I asked my Grandma "How did you walk up the hill to school and then back up the hill after school?" Lol She said "I took a diff way home from school" Lol.
    AProsser

Answer by AProsser at 9:13 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I'll vouch for up hill both ways! (down a valley & back up!- which is how i had to get to work, in the rain, snow, heat, etc.- 2 miles one way! lol)
    with my parents it was always "Up On Top Of The Hill.... and girls couldn't wear pants, so it was soooo cold when it snowed!" i just used to inwardly smile, and nod.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:15 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• LOL! Mine included barefoot, because "they didn't have the money for shoes- they only wore shoes to church on Sunday." So for mine it was they walked barefoot to school 10 miles uphill both ways. LOL!!

Answer by Bmat at 9:16 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• LOL plan on using the same bs w/ mine, figure it'll @ least make em laugh when they figure it out
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:21 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• My grandma was a teacher in northern Michigan in 1896 and she had to walk to school, on snow shoes because the CAR had not been invented yet. I really don't think she exaggerated. :-)
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 9:48 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Actually the first car was built in 1769 by Nicolas Joseph Cugnot

http://inventors.about.com/library/weekly/aacarsgasa.htm

http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/auto.html

So the car was IN FACT invented.

So would you like to make a new excuse?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Charles Edgar Duryea (1862-1938) and his brother Frank (1870-1967) 1893 GASOLINE / First successful gas powered car: 4hp, two-stroke motor. The Duryea brothers set up first American car manufacturing company. United States
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Dec. 6, 2009