What's a good diet?

I'm overweight. I need to loose atleast 50lbs. I don't know where to begin or how to start. I have small children and I can't go for walks very often but I could probably go about 3 days a weeek when DH comes home from work. I'm tired of feeling this way and I'm ready to change. Please don't bash me, I don't think I can deal with it today. I just don't want to look like this anymore. How do I lose these 50lbs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Health

• hon, i gained over 100 lbs while i was pregnant. and i'll be point blank, maybe you'll understand what i mean, maybe you won't- but either way i do not intend it to offend.
    i'm 5'6 and weigh about 135. 2 years ago i was about 210. before i had my 1st child, i was 115- i got up to 220 afterward.

i am repulsed by obesity- it makes me feel sick. mainly because i know that we do it to our selves, and that we can reverse it. but most women choose not to, because it is simply easier to keep eating. i didn't feel that way about "fat" people until i experienced obesity.
    my body paid the price for it, in a big way, and i work hard every day not to revert back to old habits... if you are interested, send me a message. i'm not here to bash (although i'm sure it sounds that way sometimes) i've been there, done that, and lost almost 100 lbs. i didn't use drugs either. i know you can too. :)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:32 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• i should also tell you, that i'm a momma to three kids, ages 8, 4, 2... its not like i'm a first timer who just had some baby pudge. i carried it around for a while.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:34 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Take stock of the foods you eat every day. Most Americans eat more starchy carbs than any other type of food, and starchy carbs are usually full of empty calories and fat. Our bodies store those carbs & fat as extra weight.

Head back to more natural foods. Whole grains, veggies, fruits, lean proteins. No pasta, cut back on the bread. No sugary foods or drinks. No processed foods. Drink 64 oz. or MORE of water every day. Fill up your plate with raw/steamed veggies first, then lean protein, then fresh fruit (not juice) THEN any starchy foods. By the time I get to the starches I'm usually too full to eat them.

I followed the South Beach plan and was able to lose 7 lbs. while I was laid up from a riding accident (read that as NO EXERCISE) and then lost even more when I was able to be up and around. I never gained the weight back because I learned to eat as I described above.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:55 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I love the flat abs diet book.. they also have a flat abs diet cook book and another one that tells you foods that are OK if you get stuck eating fast food.. this diet is awesome! the foods are REAL foods.. and so yummy! it lets you eat just about anything just teaches you what to look for.. Good luck to you!!
    maybebaby83

Answer by maybebaby83 at 9:58 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Count calories and your fat content for a week. Record everything you eat...even if only one bite. Then look at each day....you'll see what you need to cut out and what you need to add.

Develop healthy eating habits. You don't need a "diet" you just need to eat right and exercise.

You can walk...any time...load them into a stroller and GO. You'll even get a better work out from the extra weight you're pushing. Get a few different exercise DVD's for variety and do at least 1/2 hour a day. Just go at your own pace, push a little more each day....before you know it you'll be kicking butt!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• try eating clean.

there's a great group on here called Eating Clean, check out the book The Eat Clean diet - by Tosca Reno. its simple, easy and works. it focuses on eating healthy foods, smaller meals more often.

I went clean a few weeks ago for a skin condition and have lost a ton of weight.

but you also have to get rid of the excuses. exercise - get a video to do at home you don't need any fancy equipment and some videos are made for people who have no time (15minute sets...)

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:53 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Weight Watchers. WW is not a diet, it is a lifestyle change. That is the only "diet" my doctor approves of. Exercising, watching portions, drinking water and unsweet tea instead of soda and juice. Limiting fast food. Eat 6 small meals a day instead of 3 big meals.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:39 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I'm lazy but still lost 50 lbs by changing my eating habits (quit eating out, dropped sugar, stopped drinking soft drinks, dropped white foods and added color like squash, sweet potatoes, celery) and began doing stretches, lifting 2 lb weights (while watching tv or reading) and walking 3 times a week. I also use resistance bands (easy stuff). Remember that it takes time and muscle weighs more than fat so as you build up muscle mass (which burns fat) you may not see a weight change immediately. Just start somewhere and keep going. There will be plateaus but keep going.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:48 PM on Dec. 6, 2009