heartbeat

I just had my second OB visit on thursday I was 9weeeks 5 days gestation and my dr couldn't find a heartbeat. she told me that is wasn't worried at all but I can't help to get a litttle upset. I just wondered if it is something I should worry about?

AshleyG.

Asked by AshleyG. at 10:10 AM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Did you have an ultrasound or were they using a dopplar? If it was a dopplar, it is not unusual to not hear it until at least 12 weeks. My doctor has never tried before that mark with any of mine for just that reason! If it was an ultrasound, I would be a little more concerned and you could always call and go back in before your next appointment. Otherwise, at your 12 week appointment, you should be able to hear your little one! Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:50 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I had an app where my OB couldn't find the heart beat and I was a little bit farther along, he was a little worried, so he did an u/s right then, found the heart beat, baby was just fine! Congrats!
    Christian-Mom79

Answer by Christian-Mom79 at 10:19 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Sometimes the heart beat takes a while to hear. It could mean you have really strong thick muscles, really superb fluid, a little extra belly fat... it's really normal.

Some docs and midwives say it's best to wait and do the ultra sound later to give the baby's brain more time to develop before exposing it to the waves. Don't worry.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:20 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• We didn't hear my daughters until I was 12 wks. I wouldn't worry.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 12:21 PM on Dec. 6, 2009