Getting a second dog?

Ok, we have onedog now. She's amazing, and I want to get a companion for her (have since I got her in march). Roomate/ex-BF/DD's father goes back and forth between whatever and no. There's this amazing dog at the AC center I would love to get. A 3 month old pup. He is a Pit (as 80% of the dogs there are), so chances are he will be put down unless pulled by a rescue. My situation right now is stable, though I have a feeling Roomate will be leaving in Spring. I also have a 2 year old.I don't think it would be a big deal to add the pup. My schedule is stable. Finances are tight, but I believe we can help this pup. If he leaves, I still think I can do it. Has anybody else had a situation like this? How did you manage? (I am young, but aware of the responsibilites of having a Pit, as my current girl is)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Pets

• I'm a sucker for getting more dogs. I see their little faces and I'm a chump for it every time.

1. Will you be potty training a dog baby and a human baby at the same time? I would have a hard time doing that myself.
    2. Do you have a secure fenced out door area for the dogs? They are going to play BIG and loud. They will need space away from your DD to rambunction around.
    3. Never consider the man's contribution in issues of dogs.
    4. Will the shelter give you a spay/neuter certificate for a free one?

That's everything I would consider. Good Luck!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:36 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• 1. Yes, the pup would be trained now, while DD is not ready just yet.
    2. Yep, my awesome landlord just finished putting a gate across the drive.
    4. I will have to go through a rescue to have the rescue pull the dog (our AC doesn't do adoptions), and their fee includes spay/neuter, vaccinations, microchip, free vet visit, preventitive treatment for fleas and worms, and a heartworm test all for $100..extremely reasonable. Not sure how they would do it with a dog they aren't pulling for their rescue, but if they don't do it, there are a few places I can go to get it done. That is a must.
    Financially I don't believe it would be a huge issue on average. Double dog food, and vet bills each year. I'm trying to look at this as a single mom living alone with DD, and the 2 dogs. It would be tight, but still doable.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:01 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• laughingYou can have mine. Really.

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:38 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• If you are able to take on another dog and can take the time to housebreak and train then i don't see a problem with it. At the moment i have 2 dogs myself and i really don't see it as more work granted they are 4 yrs and 7 yrs. We also have a 6-8 week old puppy that we found 5 days ago. We are not planning on keeping him just to foster him until he is well enough to find a new home. Two dogs are a peace of cake.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:44 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Anything is possible, it just depends on what you set your mind to do. One dog did seem easier from my point of view, but we now have 1-6yo dog and 2- 7month old puppies.The house can become very loud with the puppies running and playing, but it is worth it.
    mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 2:07 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Thanks mamas! I'm going to see if he is available for adoption tomorrow. Something about him just sticks out to me, won't get out of my head. It was the same thing with my girl now..Said no to her after going back for 3 days, but she wouldn't get out of my head. :) Best decision I could have made. She is amazing! I'll update when I find more about the pup.
    Anonymous