What is the normal glucose level for a child after a 12 hour fast?

I have noticed over the last few days that my three years has been very thirsty and has had the need to potty frequently. My husband is diabetic and he has those symptoms when his levels get high. This morning we tested our son first thing in the morning after he had fasted for over 12 hours. His glucose level was 144. For my husband that would be too high but I'm not sure if in a child the range is different.

Yes, I do plan on calling our family doctor first thing in the morning. I am just impatient and want to know if my concerns are valid.

Thanks!

tinkerbell76

Asked by tinkerbell76 at 10:57 AM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Health

• I don't know for a child, I wish I could help. Hopefully your doc will get in the phone with you soon. GL
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 10:58 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Im not positive about a 3 y/o, but Im pretty sure for fasting of any age that is too high, especially after 12 hours. Im glad you are aware of the signs and symptoms though, it is often hard to early catch diabetes in children, usually they go into a crisis before it is realized. Im glad you are planning on calling the doc. You can also get an idea of what your little ones blood sugar is doing by checking 2 hours after eating, it should be under 130 for most people, so that may give you an idea too. Good luck Momma,
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 11:01 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I believe the standards are the same. A "normal" fasting number is 70-99, so that is extremely high for a child or adult. Sorry!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:02 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I have worked with a diabetic child before and his normal ranges was from 100-130. Anything below or above would be of concern. The child at the time was 3-4 years old and this may of been his normal glucose levels. I would definitely take her to see the doctor to confirm.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:03 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• You have concerns, you tested THIS morning and are waiting until tomorrow morning to call a doctor? I'm confused.

Why ask a medical question (especially when you have concerns) on a message board instead of asking an actual medical professional?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:03 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Anon, maybe because it's Sunday and doctors offices are CLOSED. What good would it do? Call the doctors call center, have them page the doctor, the doctor calls and will say "Call the office and make an ppointment for tomorrow"

Those levels while high and in the eyes of most doctors is a diagnosal of diabetes, aren't high enough to say "Bring that child to the ER right away" they aren't high enough for a coma or anything dangerous in the immediate
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:06 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• "Normal" (after eating) is anywhere between 100-150... after a fast, should be between 70-100. i would continue to monitor, and most definitely get it checked if there is a diabetic presence in the immediate family. fortunately (as you well know) it can be managed, and you already have a good idea of what you would be dealing with- though in children its a little more complicated. i truly hope that its just a fluke.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:06 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• My doctors office is closed on the weekends. I can call the after-hours nurse line but they will have me call back tomorrow morning for an appointment. We can not go to the ER for medical concerns that are not an actual emergency because our insurance requires that our doctor is called prior to admission and all non-emergencies are told to contact the doctor during business hours for an appoinment. A glucose level of 144 is not dangerously high but it did cause me to be concerned to feel the need to follow-up with his doctor first thing Monday morning.

Why did I ask here...there are so many people here with different kinds of knowledge and who knows a doctor, a nurse, a parent of a child with diabetes could be reading this question and can give me some insight.

For those that answered ~ thank you so much for your insight. It really helps me to know that I'm not just overreacting and that my concerns are valid
    tinkerbell76

Answer by tinkerbell76 at 11:15 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• ObbyDobbie, actualy a non-diabetic rarely gets above 100-110 anytime, no matter if they eat a bowl of pasta or no carbs at all. A 2 hour after meal reading that is 120 is enough to diagnose someone with pre-diabetes, over 120 is enough for a diagnosal of diabetes!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 11:19 AM on Dec. 6, 2009

• 80 -120 is the norm. Some docs, use 80-100 or 110.
    duets

Answer by duets at 11:48 AM on Dec. 6, 2009