Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I go about being on the receiving end of charity?

I am a newly single mom of a beautiful 8-mo old daughter. I am struggling greatly as far as finances go. I am already on WIC and food stamps. Does anyone know how I can go about receiving financial help from a charity or some christmas toys for my daughter? Thank you. God Bless.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Answers (8)
  • I'm not quite sure, but I hope your situation gets better soon xo

    Answer by sandypops at 12:03 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

  • A thought just came to me. Have you filed for unemployment? You might qualify?... God Bless. xoxox

    Answer by sandypops at 12:08 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

  • Contact the local United Way for information about how to get your daughter on the Toys for Tots list. Many churches and organizations run Angel Trees; you give the child's gender, age, and likes/dislikes and somebody will buy a gift for her, usually annoymously.
    On CM, there are many moms who would gladly adopt your daughter or arrange a trade - you make something for their child and they'll make something for yours. I don't celebrate Christmas but I have some small sewing talents and would be glad to make a gift for your daughter; PM me if interested.

    Answer by eema.gray at 12:11 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

  • It's a bit late in the season now but your daughter is too young to understand what it's all about so just enjoy the holiday with her. If material things are that important to you then call around.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

  • Yard sales, freecycle.organd are great ways to find inexpensive things to give your DD for Christmas. As another poster said she is still way to young to understand so hand-me-downs and 'used' items are just fine! My son's first Christmas was almost entirely hand-me-downs and yard sale material. He loved it and it made for great photos.

    Answer by But_Mommie at 2:46 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

  • Call your local Salvation Army and ask them. The SA is so well connected they may have great advice for you as to wear to get started. Also, check your phone book and see if your city has a PATH office. If you have a PATH, they will hook you up with toys for the kiddos and warm blankets and clothes. If you don't get good info at either of those sources, don't hesitate to call your local fire and police departments for advice.

    Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:51 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

  • Also, message me. I have a 3 year old girl and wish I could share all of her hand me downs with you, but I'm having another girl in less than 2 weeks. That being said, I'm sure I have enough clothes, blankets, toys, and more that I could send some to you.

    Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:56 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

  • contact your local firestation about the toys for tots program...
    also local churches....
    our church just had a toy drive sponsored by one of our local hospital community outreach programs...
    posting on craigslist for free toys/baby items might work as well....
    Good luck...I hope your situation improves!!!

    Answer by connorsmom1970 at 5:31 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.