Anyone else not having Christmas this year?

We just can't afford it this year and I feel so bad. I know my daughter is only 3 so she won't care. My husband is out of work and my job is not paying enough to do anything but cover our expenses.

Are you planning on doing a special Christmas later in the year?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 PM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Holidays

• We arent. Our kids are too young to "miss out" anyway. Instead we are going to visit relatives.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 12:06 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Last year, and even this year, we have literally nothing! We were fortunate to have a fake christmas tree given to us, so we at least have that. The kids love the lights.
    On your husband's end...have you guys filed for unemployment? You might qualify?
    Try to find some creative ways to decorate, like coloring paper and making paper chains to hang up...stuff like that. i think more than anything, she'll remember and enjoy just being with her parents.
    Hope things get better for you guys. xoxo God Bless
    Anonymous

• So, when you say Christmas, you too, are referring to gifts. You aren't buying or receiving. So what! Go out there and have your own fun. Go to the mall, look at lights and decorations. If you have to eat at the Salvation Army Christmas Day, do it. There are ways to celebrate without spending any money. You have to be creative. Read this:

How to Enjoy Christmas Without Spending Money

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:07 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Skip Christmas? LOL. DOn't think so. WHY? I am sure you can find a way to at least get a tree ...I got a 6 ft tree for $18,00. Cut back on other stuff. I can't believe this!!!
    Anonymous

• No tree at my house. I'll get a few little things for my twins but I just put out $120 for their snow suits and holiday outfits...Merry Christmas kids, that's what you're getting! They are only 17 months so they don't care. All they want is love and snuggles from me and my DH and we have tons of that. We're at my parents' on Christmas Day and my DH's family Boxing day.

They love Christmas lights so we're going to bundle them up in those new snowsuits and go walking in the rich people's houses where all the nice houses are decorated up.

I'd like them to know Christmas is about family, not presents. But I want to give them the world...sigh :) Hang in there sister.
    sgtdemanda

Answer by sgtdemanda at 12:18 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• You have to be able to get her atleast ONE toy? She will never forget that she didnt get anything for Christmas. Go to Walmart or the dollar store! Cmon now.
    Anonymous

• I don't do xmas with material gifts but I do share my time with my kids and grandkids doing things they want to do. That quality time is what they will remember. Building memories is more important to me than giving gifts they won't remember anyway. You can make this the best xmas ever if you go into it with a great attitude. Help your dd make daddy a gift (let her draw him a picture or bake him some cookies with you). I made my son a quilt out of scraps of material I had around for our first xmas. He's 36 and still has it! Just feel the love for each other and have fun. You can usually get a real tree for free close to xmas eve. You can make decorations out of paper. One year I went to Salvation Army and got ornaments for 10 cents each. Share the feeling of xmas and that is something you cannot buy.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:26 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• just because you have no money doesn't mean you can't do Christmas.

Christmas is WAY more than gifts. its the music, the magic and just the joy of being around family and friends.

who cares if there aren't presents.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:45 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Not having Christmas? Christmas isn't something you "have", it is a day to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ, a day to be shared with family and friends. Regardless of your financial status on Dec 25, Christmas is still going to "happen". So chop off a branch from an evergreen tree and stick it in a bucket of dirt and you have "World's Cheapest Christmas Tree". Have your daughter color circles of paper and you have "My daughter's first ornament". Save $5.00 between now and Dec 24 and buy your daughter a candy cane and a small toy from the dollar store. Hang a stocking, doesn't have to be glamorous, use your husband's clean sock. Put the candy cane and toy in the sock and have your daughter dump it out on Christmas morning. Give your husband a "coupon" for a back rub from his "favorite elf". And most of all be thankful on for all you do have. Don't worry about "having" Christmas, celebrate Christmas!
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 12:45 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• We don't celebrate Christmas at all. instead we celebrate Yule. Our kids get one gift. And we are cleaning out thier room and giving all the toys they don't play with to the local hospital and WIC Office.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 1:13 PM on Dec. 6, 2009