How does breastfeeding affect your boobs?

I know that pregnancy itself tends to make your boobs sag a little afterwards but how does breastfeeding affect them? I have heard that your boobs get bigger after you breast feed and after I had my son they were real perky until the milk left. So I'm just curious on how breastfeeding affects the size and stuff of your boobs during and after breastfeeding.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:07 PM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, when my boobs were engorged they were an H cup. When I was pregnant, and afterwards breastfeeding, they were G cups. And now that Ive stopped, its been 3 weeks...my milk is gone, my boobs are not engorged, and I am still a G cup. :( I thought they would go down. As for saggy... mine have been saggy since I got boobs, so I dont know.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 12:11 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Ive heard they make them saggy not bigger.
    Anonymous

• it
    Anonymous

• Breastfeeding does not make them saggy, pregnancy does that. As for me I went from barely an A before to a C during and down to a B after and they are saggier, but so are my best friends and she didn't nurse. The sagging has a lot to do with genetics too and it is pregnancy not nursing that does it. Oh and for about 6 months after my child weaned they went down to barely an A again, but then went back up to a B now and it has been 3 years since my almost 6 year old weaned (yes he nursed until he was almost 3 years old).
    Anonymous

• My friends all lost a few cupsizes after they quit nursing, one friends boobs saged bad after nursing, I think it just depends on the woman. I didn't nurse very long and mine are still pretty perky, and i'm almost 40
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:51 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• The pregnancy made them a little droopy, not the breastfeeding. I never got engorged or uncomfortable the entire time I was breastfeeding or after my kids weaned. I haven't breastfed in about three years now, and my boobs are maybe a half a cup size bigger than they were before I had kids.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:00 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• when i weaned #1 they were bigger than when i started (b to a d), when i weaned #2 they went back down to a d, and now i am dd nursing #3 and ihope they don't shrink too much when iwean her lol.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 1:06 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Here's a study on it - it doesn't seem to have any strong effects on breasts, when compared to women who don't breastfeed.
    http://www.aestheticsurgeryjournal.org/article/S1090-820X%2808%2900208-2/abstract
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 1:44 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• Breastfeeding will make your nipples more supple, but that is the ONLY difference that will NOT happen if you don't breastfeed. Pregnancy hormones make connective tissue, including that in the breasts, a little more lax and stretchy. It does that so the joints in your hips can give to make more room for the baby at birth. Breastfeeding doesn't make your boobs sag, pregnancy does :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:47 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• It's all genetic. I have extremely high proclatin levels, so breastfeeding made me sag really bad. Prolactin is the hormone that softens your ligaments during pregnancy. My ligaments became so soft that the ones in my breasts tore due to the weight of the milk and now they sag. My mom had the same problem. Prolactin levels and the ligament softening during pregnancy are the main cause of sagging and not breastfeeding.

As for moms that lose a cupsize. Who's to say they wouldn't have lost the cupsize after pregnancy even if they hadn't breastfed?

The only guaranteed changes that breastfeeding will cause is it decreases your risk of ever developing breast, uterine, and ovarian cancers and it does make your nipples larger.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:04 PM on Dec. 6, 2009