Private School

Do you think it's worth the money? Has it been proven that kids who attend private school are successful in their future?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Money & Work

• Put it this way, I know people who went to private school with me that are losers. It does not matter if a child goes to a private or public school or are homeschooled, it depends more on the child's personality. I went to private school for 9 years and then public for 4 years. I did better in the public school. It is not necessarily the school, but the teachers your child gets. I have had horrible teachers at private school and wonderful teachers at public school and vice versa. It depends on the area that you live. Some areas have amazing public schools. Some private schools are more than a college education. That is also a consideration.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:53 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• dunno.. my family spent 2000 every 6 months for me and my brother both to go to private school.. and we both dropped out of school and he didnt go to college but i am in a tech school.. some friends of mine are in college but most arent doctor and things people think they are going to be..i found that at the private school more illegal things were going on then at a public school.. but thats in high school and middle..not elementary..the only reason my kids would go to private is if it a church structured school..plus like mine i went to middle schol and took highschool classes but when i transfered to public highschool for junior year none of my credits would carry over so i had to start back at 9th grade even though we used the same books..luckily i saved all my notes from middle school or i would have been screwed..but thats why i dropped out...
    Anonymous

• So far it has been well worth it for us!
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 3:26 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• I think it depends on where you live and your local schools.
    I have a friend whose child is in private school because she wants the classes taught in English and she needs before and after school care. For her it is worth it.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 6:19 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• It depends on the public school options where you live and your child. A private education close to the fantastic public education my daughter is getting would cost at least 35,000 a year.
    If you live in, or are considering a move to, Chicago, send me a message offlist.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:52 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

• In trying to decide, talk to people who have gone to the schools available to you. In our state (PA) you can find out the SAT scores for your local public schools. Ours is absolutely mediocre. So we're grateful for private school for our kids in our location if only for the academics. Check out scholarship aid available to help offset tuition too. All these are considerations. Another advantage to our particular private school is parents have greater say in the education of their child. The classes are smaller. The teachers are more connected to parents and kids. Test scores are higher. More kids are college bound The school my son attends still has AP classes while these were dropped several years ago in the local public school. I think these things offset any technological advantages (computers for every student) and football program the public school offers.
    oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 11:23 PM on Dec. 9, 2009