Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Qualifying for Unemployment

I left my bartending job 3 weeks before my due date, telling them I didn't know when/if I would be back. Six months later I wanted to go back part-time and was told that they did not have a position for me. Do I qualify for unemployment?


Asked by Anonymous at 12:22 PM on Dec. 6, 2009 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • you can try but if you were not on an official maternity leave and they wrote it in your file that you quit then you may not qualify, it will depend how your employer classified it when you left. UE will check with your employer first to verify the terms you left under.


    Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:44 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

  • Yes apply!

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

  • yeah i'm pretty sure....trying won't hurt!

    Answer by sandypops at 12:24 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

  • I doubt it. Unemployment decides how much to give you based on your earnings for the last 3 months (maybe 6, not sure). If you didn't have any income during that time, then they probably won't give you anything.

    Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:51 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

  • Well here in CO and in TN I know that you actually have to be fired or laid of to qualify. It sounds like you quit so I'd say no but there's no harm in checking right?

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

  • Probably not. You really should call the unemployment office in your state as laws vary state to state.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:48 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

  • No, because you voluntarily left your place of employment, which in turn means you quit. Them not having a place for you just means you were gone too long and they found someone to replace you. You voluntarily quit, so therefore you do not qualify for unemployment.

    Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:30 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

  • It depends on the employment agreement you had before. I was a W2 contractor when I left to have my 1st and I ended the contract early for medical reasons. When I was ready to start looking for work I was able to claim unemployment straight away.
    This is in California.
    What will your previous employer tell them if they call?
    I agree call your local Unemployment office or visit their website. In CA you can file online.

    Answer by AussieMum2 at 6:14 PM on Dec. 6, 2009

Next question in Money & Work
Private School